Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old Threads: Is It To Late To Add Your 2 Cents Worth? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-threads-late-add-your-2-cents-worth-t209941.html)

Momma_K 01-02-2013 06:41 PM

Old Threads: Is It To Late To Add Your 2 Cents Worth?

:confused: Ok, what I'm asking is...I've went through the main menu where you find nothing but thread after thread, after thread! The titles and soooo many page numbers! I love scrolling through and looking at all of the interesting threads that have been posted through the years and to be honest many of them have helped me in some way or another. Well, the thing is I find one I like and want to say something or ask a question BUT....it was posted like in 2011 or 2006, 2009 or earlier...you got the picture I'm sure. Well, is it to late to say anything? I'm sure I'd feel stupid if someone is still subscribed to it and then suddenly out of the blue gets an email and they'e saying..."What in the world"?! What would you do?? :o

hopetoquilt 01-02-2013 06:49 PM

If I go through a search and find an old thread, I PM the author of the info... And I reference the thread by providing a link.

erstan947 01-02-2013 06:50 PM

I send a Private Message referencing the thread. If there is no response they may not be a current active member. Just what I do....no right or wrong way.

liking quilting 01-02-2013 07:12 PM

Just had to say how much I love your avatar. Beautiful scene!

Up North 01-02-2013 07:20 PM

I try not to comment on threads that old I suggest also a PM

Dolphyngyrl 01-02-2013 07:20 PM

Yes you can I got a comment on a thread recently that I posted almost a year ago, If you are subscribed you do get notifications if you want to, and people can always look up things they posted under their profile

dunster 01-02-2013 07:23 PM

I have to chuckle when someone comments on a picture of a quilt that was posted several years ago. Then several other people, not realizing that it is an old thread that was suddenly brought to the top, comment also. There's no harm done, sometimes it gives new life to an older quilt, and gives new members a chance to see it. Of course if the old post you want to comment on is one where someone is asking for help on something, you're probably too late to actually be of help. If you have something new to add (a new technique, for instance) it's probably better to start a new thread in that case.

quiltjoey 01-02-2013 07:41 PM

I probably have been guilty of that... I'm still learning about all the ins and outs of the QB... I thought I have figured it out when the changed the format/website and I am still learning this new one! Go figure. LOL! :o

QuiltE 01-02-2013 09:15 PM

It's really up to you!!

This has been discussed many times before, and it's been made clear that there is no policy saying you can't post a comment to old(er) threads.

As someone already said, sometimes it's good to see an old thread come back active again ... and it lets others to see something they might never have seen in the past.

Similarly, it's important to remember, that some unsubscribe from older threads. So if you are directing your comments towards someone, they may never see them. Likewise, they may not get the PM if no longer active on the Board.

MTS 01-02-2013 09:49 PM

The thread might be resurrected and move to the top of its forum, but unless you (re)subscribed to that particular thread after the board change over last November, you won't receive any notification of a recent post even if it had been on your "watched" topics list.

(can't say if it would work that way if you were the OP)

But I could be wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time.