Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old Wedding Dress (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-wedding-dress-t265540.html)

matraina 05-24-2015 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 (Post 7204620)
I will goggle wedding dress quilts. I agree, it may be challenging to work with satin. I am leaning towards teddy bears, which will still be a challenge! Thanks for the info.

How about if you put tissue paper under the satin while sewing it?

zozee 05-24-2015 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by PABerard (Post 7205193)
Fizzie, I hear you. Although my kids never cleaned up after themselves so I figure this is my payback. They can clean up after me when I am gone ;-)

ROFL! This is the BEST rationale I've ever heard! Totally relieves me of that nagging guilt that I MIGHT--ahem--be creating work for THEM for a change. Hahaha.

quiltingshorttimer 05-24-2015 06:37 PM

A friend has used her Mom's plus some of her Mom's costume jewelry and a photo of her folks wedding picture on fabric, to make a really nice memory wall hanging. Very creative art quilt.

cathyre 05-24-2015 09:36 PM

I made my children's Christening Gown from my wedding dress just changed a bow in the front from pink to blue for them , 35 years later I asked my daughter what was she going to have her little ones Christened in she look at me strange and said " the family grown of course" , I then made a cotton under slip and embroider all their names and dates on it, leaving enough roo for at least 10 more names I guess a family tradition has been started. We now keep it in special paper and box with a wedding photo of us both .Cathy

Jecreed 05-25-2015 01:07 AM

I took my daughter's wedding dress and had a Christening Gown made from it. It had some smocking on it. Both of her children wore it and we embroidered their names and the date.

lynnsv 05-25-2015 02:32 AM

I didn't make a quilt from my wedding dress; I have 3 daughters and I combined each of their Communion dresses with pieces of my gown and made a Baptism outfit for their first child. I had made my gown and their dresses, too.

twinkie 05-25-2015 03:54 AM

Good luck with your project. I am sure you can do something great.

Onetomatoplant 05-25-2015 04:18 AM

Yes! (Disclaimer: I work for the woman who designed this product, but am not making any money from it. I just think it's a great product.)

Google All About Me interfacing. She made a wall hanging out of her daughter's wedding dress and it's lovely. The interfacing made the satin less challenging to work with. And she printed photos onto fabric using special sheets of fabric, but I can't remember the brand. A picture of the wall hanging comes up on google, and you'll see the center photo is larger than an 8 1/2 x 11. She used the poster setting on her printer to make her photo bigger. It prints the photo out on four sheets and has lines to align it correctly.

I love the idea of repurposing the dress and letting it be enjoyed by future generations.

Fastpedal 05-25-2015 04:30 AM

I made padded photo albums for my children (and my nephew whose mother also worn the gown for her wedding) from my wedding gown and put pictures of their life from birth to their wedding day in it for them.

Sandygirl 05-25-2015 04:39 AM

Clean it and display it on a dress form. I would love to see a photo.
sandy