Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oliso iron dead, what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oliso-iron-dead-what-do-t291673.html)

ekuw 10-06-2017 08:52 AM

Unfortunately, nothing is built to last anymore.We live in a throw away society. I've heard enough stories about irons no longer working after relatively short lives to suggest you just buy a new one - sorry :-(

cashs_mom 10-06-2017 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ekuw (Post 7920495)
Unfortunately, nothing is built to last anymore.We live in a throw away society. I've heard enough stories about irons no longer working after relatively short lives to suggest you just buy a new one - sorry :-(

That's sadly true. I had Laura Star Steam Generator iron that worked for 10+ years without a problem. Once it died and I looked at the prices of new Laura Star's I bought an Oliso. I've had it a couple years now. I don't expect it to last that long.

I should add that I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond. They let me use my 20% off coupon (free shipping) and I used some gift cards that I got from my credit card points so I only spent about $25 in cash on it.

jmoore 10-07-2017 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw (Post 7920495)

Unfortunately many appliances don’t seem to last as long as they used to...I don’t think they make them to last.

paoberle 10-07-2017 02:49 AM

I would hesitate to buy another iron if the first one only lasted 18 months, unless you believe that you are incapable of learning to put the iron in the upright position. There are plenty of good irons out there.

lindaschipper 10-07-2017 03:40 AM

Watched a Missouri Star Video yesterday and noticed that Jenny Doan had a new iron...she no longer uses her yellow Oliso iron. Wonder what happened to hers?

JENNR8R 10-07-2017 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 7920052)
I have two other irons that are not pop up and I am afraid that I will leave them down on the board and start a fire. I always used distilled water, but last week it began smelling hot and spitting.

You might consider the Euro that is sold at a discount at quilt shows. It sits flat like the Oliso but does not raise up. It comes with a silicone pad to rest it on, but the person who demonstrates it at the shows leaves it on her ironing-board surface all day without damage.

They say it will not damage any fabric. I've sewn filmsy silk scarves with no problem. When she ironed a balloon without popping it, I was sold. I wouldn't use anything else now.

https://www.eurosteam.com/product/eu...neration-iron/

juliea9967 10-07-2017 05:12 AM

If it was me I would replace it with a Panasonic cordless iron. I have had mine for about 4 years now and if it broke tomorrow I would replace it immediately with the same kind. The "ironing without a cord" experience is absolutely awesome!

junegerbracht 10-07-2017 05:19 AM

We have a yellow one at my quilting class - donated by another classmate because she felt it didn't get hot enough. I have not bought one because of the many complaints I have heard and read. Seems like the company should look into their quality control and customer service - or perhaps they just don't care.

Ariannaquilts 10-07-2017 05:21 AM

I am so sorry that you have had these problems with your iron. I have had my Oliso for 10 years now, it's the original blue /teal one. My iron stopped heating up but I never thought of taking it to a repair person. I started using my cordless Panasonic then one day I had decided to get rid of the Oliso but something made me plug it in and to my delight it started working. I have not put water in it since it started working again and that's been well over a year. BTW I also had the same fear of leaving an iron down because of being accustomed to the iron popping up but that only happened once and fortunately I didn't burn anything but I use so many irons that it's just not a problem.

Quilt30 10-07-2017 05:32 AM

I don't believe we complain enough directly with the manufacturer about their expensive irons. Complain until they listen and report on sites where folks buy the product.