Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oliso iron dead, what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oliso-iron-dead-what-do-t291673.html)

MaggieLou 10-07-2017 05:36 AM

Part of the problem might be nearly everything is made overseas now. I doubt the quality control is anything near what it should be.

Battle Axe 10-07-2017 05:37 AM

I took a look at that MSQC tute. That is a Panasonic cordless. I wrote to them and asked about the Oliso, haven't heard back.

Marcia

Chris G 10-07-2017 06:16 AM

My Oliso died the same exact way. Too much money for an extremely short life. I'm currently using a Rowena, and this will be the last one I buy of this also. I quit for long hours at a time. If prolonged heating (even with auto off) kills these big shots, I'm off to buy cheaper brands

Jo Anne B. 10-07-2017 09:55 AM

I did read in a previous and similar thread someone recommended a Shark Iron. I did invest in Shark as soon as my Rowenta bite the dust (after a short 18 mos., maybe 2 yrs.) and I have been very pleased with it. I do not fill with any type of water as I am not using the spray/steam features. i would recommend a Shark as a next purchase.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Quilty week end!!

Mimiqwerty 10-07-2017 11:22 AM

When my yellow Oliso died (feet won't retract so it can't be used) after about two years of light use, I got out my old Black and Decker which still works like a top. I was also afraid that I'd forget to upend it and it would burn the house down, so I bought a silicone iron-shaped pad to sit my iron on. A $6 solution--the frugal ironer's Oliso.

Battle Axe 10-07-2017 11:29 AM

Mimi, what did you do with that broken yellow Oliso. I would think your heating element is still good. My feet still work.

Marcia

cathyvv 10-07-2017 11:40 AM

Most of the irons that are on the market these days automatically turn the heating element off when the iron is not moved for awhile. I suspect they have a motion sensor in them.

What I do is have my iron hooked up to a surge protector that has a light and the iron plugged into it. If the light is on, the iron is also on. That set up always reminds me to turn off the surge protector.

duckydo 10-07-2017 04:49 PM

You should use filtered water, not bottled or distilled.. Use a brita filter pitcher and run your water through it before you put it in your iron.

Maire 10-07-2017 07:27 PM

My Oliso had problems after a year or so, when I called the company they immediately replaced it at no cost, I experienced great customer service. The replacement is doing well, after over a year (not sure of time, it get away from me).
It does have a switch so you can stand it on end if you don't want to rely on the pop up. Friends were sewing with me & kept forgetting not to stand it up, next time I'll use that switch.

ctrysass2012 10-07-2017 08:00 PM

I have had the Panasonic 360 cordless since Aug 2016 I love it. Not having to deal with the cord while pressing large pieces. I do have a few vintage corded irons if I need to do small pieces at another location but really prefer the Panasonic.