Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One Block Wonder Book(s) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-block-wonder-book-s-t111899.html)

Yarn or Fabric 03-31-2011 04:14 AM

There is another series of booklets out there that teach you how to make them - and they are a bit different from the obw books that most people get. I chose to go this route although I have yet to make my obw. I keep saying I need to get the fabric for it but haven't found *the one* for me to start with.

The series is Learn to be a Wacky....there is wedge, pinwheel and star by Linda Causee
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...uiting&x=0&y=0
The wedge one is the one that would be similar to the obw books. It has the octagons in it.

Jamiestitcher62 03-31-2011 04:18 AM

I have the original One Block Wonder book and found it confusing and quite frankly mostly a pictorial of quilts. I didn't find the instructions all that great either. I found the YouTube videos and Missouri Quilt Star has a video too I think. The videos are better, but maybe if you had both the book and a video that would be the ideal.

k3n 03-31-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I have the original One Block Wonder book and found it confusing and quite frankly mostly a pictorial of quilts. I didn't find the instructions all that great either. I found the YouTube videos and Missouri Quilt Star has a video too I think. The videos are better, but maybe if you had both the book and a video that would be the ideal.

I'm sorry you found that with the book. Personally I think the instructions are very clear and well illustrated with lots of photos showing all the stages in construction. There are also comprehensive guidelines on choice of fabric and lots of advice and tips for achieving a successful design layout. Yes there ARE lots of pictures of finished quilts but these only serve to inspire me and give me ideas... :-)

gaigai 03-31-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62

I'm sorry you found that with the book. Personally I think the instructions are very clear and well illustrated with lots of photos showing all the stages in construction. There are also comprehensive guidelines on choice of fabric and lots of advice and tips for achieving a successful design layout. Yes there ARE lots of pictures of finished quilts but these only serve to inspire me and give me ideas... :-)

I agree with k3n. I could never have done one without the book right at my side showing me each step. Even now, after having done 4-6 of them, I have the book open.

SugarD14523 03-31-2011 01:17 PM

Where did you girls find the ruler needed for this?

gaigai 03-31-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SugarD14523

You don't really need a special ruler, I used my regular one, but you can buy a 60 degree ruler at JoAnn's or Clotilde or pretty much anywhere online.

k3n 04-01-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by SugarD14523

You don't really need a special ruler, I used my regular one, but you can buy a 60 degree ruler at JoAnn's or Clotilde or pretty much anywhere online.

Make sure you get the Clearview - if you google '60 degree Clearview ruler' you should get suppliers. DON'T get the Marti Mitchell one with the tips cut off - I used this for my first couple and it was a right pain in the you-know-what, remembering to allow for that extra 1/4". As Gai said, you can use your 60 deg line to make the basic blocks but if ever you get into the cubes, you must have the Clearview. And it is a lot easier and faster for cutting your stacks. Anyway, you'll get hooked and make a million of these so it will be a good investment! :lol: