Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-reason-local-quilt-shops-do-not-have-booming-business-t54086.html)

dotcomdtcm 07-12-2010 01:43 PM

Yes, I waited & waited & waited to buy threads , needles, etc at a small fabric store where I was conducting business. Finally walked out.

bob1414 07-12-2010 01:45 PM

I hope quilt shop owners are reading this!!!!!!!!

ann clare 07-12-2010 01:46 PM

Must say I have been very lucky in quilt shops. Assistants very, very helpful

dotcomdtcm 07-12-2010 01:47 PM

I have to add that the folks at City Quilter are great & it was fun to see them mentioned in one of the Elm Creek novels!
Of course you have to come to NYC & visit me!

dottie 07-12-2010 01:56 PM

It's a shame that employees are so inconsiderate. Went to a quilt shop in Georgia and has the same experience...noone paid any attention to me..
Left without buying anything and will not go back...there is a quilt shop at the Foster's Flea Market that is open on weekends..they are super nice, have name brand fabric and the prices are 2/3 at least of normal quilt shop.
Dottie

dottie 07-12-2010 01:57 PM

Had a senior moment and forgot to say that it is in Murphy, NC
Dottie

brushandthimble 07-12-2010 02:45 PM

The shop that was closest to me, now sells only yarn; but when she sold fabric help was offered and you were greeted when you entered. As I was know there, I was always greeted by name and let me know if you need help. The one I go to now is more than willing to help you if you need it.
Yes, i have been in ones where you are ignored, don't remember which ones, but I DO remember the ones that go out of their way as soon as you enter. One comes to mind is in Spring Lake, NC. Great shop!

Lori L 07-12-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel like I'm in a 12 step meeting!!! :-)

Hi....my name is Lori and I'm a quiltaholic! :)
I hate being ignored too!

Angellight 07-12-2010 03:08 PM

Wow,
I live in Colorado & frequent at least 4 shops. In May & June, I had the opportunity to visit shops in Kansas, Virginia, St Louis, and Durango, Co & prior in a shop in Rapid City, SD. Even though I might not have been interested in buying something (Yah, like that would happen!), I have not been in any recent shops where the owners/employees have been so unconcerned with my business. They have been friendly, helpful when I needed them to be and attentive when I did not.
Also at the 4 Joann's that I can go to, they are always friendly & helpful.
My biggest complaint is Wal-Mart & after talking to a fabric employee, she said it takes 6 fulltime people to staff the fabric dept & they will not hire enough people to do that. The rest of her conversation involved the consumers not calling in & flooding WM headquarters with the requests to keep the fabric depts open. I understood her position, BUT I will not go to Menswear or wherever they have the employee stationed to get someone to come & cut my fabric. So if they have someone there, I may buy, but if not, they have lost my purchase...

Happy Quilting
Susan

bob1414 07-12-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L

Originally Posted by bob1414
I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel like I'm in a 12 step meeting!!! :-)

Hi....my name is Lori and I'm a quiltaholic! :)
I hate being ignored too!

Hey Lori!!! God grant me the serenity to..............
We should have a 12 step for our addiction but we actually could have more difficult addictions, couldn't we.............