Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   one of those days. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-those-days-t46350.html)

raptureready 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

I love the honesty. Aren't you glad that she told you before it was done and you'll be able to make her something that she really likes?
My DD is the same way but then that's how I raised her to be. I've always said, "You can be truthful without being mean. If you don't like something just say, "That's not something that I'd go for but if you like it that's great, we not supposed to like the same things.""

lnikkers52 05-18-2010 07:40 PM

awe gosh folk's thanks for the kind words. yes it stung for just a bit. But like you said i knew she wasn't saying it to hurt me. Just being honest. Gotta love em it's in the rules :)

quiltluvr 05-18-2010 10:52 PM

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. That being said, I am the world's worst gift giver. It stresses me to no end to try and pick what someone else would like. I don't do surprises mostly too because I don't like surprises.

When it comes to something like a cherished quilt, I would hate to spend the $$, time and effort to make something that wouldn't be fully appreciated. (So my "gift" list is really, really short! :-) )

I'd suggest to make a day of it with your GD if possible. Go fabric shopping, let her show you what she likes. You don't have to buy it then and there but now you have a feel for her tastes. Have lunch together and visit. Let her share an activity or place that holds her interest.

Later, use some of the fabrics she showed you, add some of your own that's similar (?), add a letter recalling the special day you shared to make this one of a kind quilt made especially for her. What memories you'll make. Seems like a win-win for both.

Anyway, that's my spin. :D

Ninnie 05-19-2010 01:53 AM

We do run into that generation gap sometimes. At least you found out before giving her the other one :D

Rainy Day 05-19-2010 02:02 AM

At least she was honest enough not to say thats lovely, and then hate it for years! Offer to make her a quilt and take her with you or go on line to choose the fabrics - that way if she hates it - she has to live with it.
I look back at photos of me and the things I liked then and cringe.
Bright blue thigh high boots with 6 inch heels any one? With matching leather jacket and a micro mini in black leather too! Permed hair, half a chemists counter of make up aargh! My mother referred to it as a gynaecological skirt!

thequilterslink 05-19-2010 02:24 AM

LOL, sorry but it happened to me too. Every quilt i ever made, my sister would say, that's pretty is it for me?? I would say No, not this time, finally i decided to make her one, i got her fav colors, spent a small fortune on fabric and made a star quilt, just to tease her i showed it to her, no response from her, so i prodded a little saying, aren't you gonna ask if it is for you? She said, no i dont' like stars. shot down LOL

Aussie Quilter 05-19-2010 02:27 AM

Bright blue thigh high boots with 6 inch heels any one? With matching leather jacket and a micro mini in black leather too! Permed hair, half a chemists counter of make up aargh! My mother referred to it as a gynaecological skirt![/quote]

My grandmother used to refer to them as 'a wide belt'. lol

Aussie Quilter 05-19-2010 02:39 AM

I'd started to hand applique a quilt for my younger sister, spent last Xmas with her, and was working on something else. She looked at it, said "I don't like patchwork. Have no interest in it at all". Didn't tell her I was making one for her. I will finish it though, and I'll give it to her granddaughter - then tell her it was originally being made for her.

On the other side of the coin, my eldest DGS was born in NZ but has lived in Australia since he was 2. Because he was proud of his NZ heritage (and rightly so) I wanted to make to make him a NZ themed quilt for his 18th birthday. When I gave it to him he almost burst into tears. He couldn't stop saying "Thank you Nanna, I love it!". It hasn't been off his bed since, even used to allow his pup to sleep on it when he first got him, (dog now sleeps outside) but no one else is allowed to touch it. He even sleeps with it on his bed when it is 40C outside! This from a DGS who rarely shows emotion.

Quilt4u 05-19-2010 02:55 AM

Had that happen to me by non other my 8 year old DGS. So I'm back to the drawing board.

Mamagus 05-19-2010 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Yes, kids will be like that. Here's a nice black & red to get your ideas going. It's a disappearing 9 patch - so easy it surprised me too! I'm doing one with black, white and turquoise green.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42037-1.htm

And a d9P is so quick and easy to do!