Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Only 7 inch harp! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/only-7-inch-harp-t240713.html)

justflyingin 02-09-2014 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6564478)
Give it a whirl! Don't worry about what "someone" says. I quilted a jumbo queen on a Walmart Brother machine with about a 4.5 inch harp. It's far from perfect, but it's done, and it wouldn't have been perfect if the harp was 2 feet long. You have to start getting you skills somewhere. Do some medium size things and see what you think. Don't let "someone" set you back another 10 years!

Exactly! Don't listen to "someone". My Pfaff Hobby had a small harp but I started quilting and I pushed and pulled and got some rather large quilts through there....even a queen, I think.

ckcowl 02-10-2014 03:04 AM

lots of quilters use domestic machines with 6"-7" harps for quilting. I know a lady who quilts beautiful large (queen+) quilts on a little 1950 singer. it takes practice and patience to learn how to do it- but that is the case with any quilting regardless of what machine you are using. if you want to quilt with your Viking- do so, no one should tell a person it can not be done---yes it can- I've quilted lots of quilts (queens) with my Viking. even though I have a long arm when I am doing really detailed, intricate work I like doing it with the Viking- it lets me really be 'up close & personal' and I can get really creative (along with having all those great special stitches to add in. :)

citruscountyquilter 02-10-2014 04:00 AM

I never measured the harp on my 37 year old Viking that is my main machine I use. I have quilted many quilts on this machine both using a walking foot and FMQ and all different sizes. I now have measured it because of this thread and it is 7.5" Still seems big enough to me to do whatever I want to do. I have to sometimes wrestle a large quilt through but not a big deal. Less wrestling with FMQ. Another thing that has made a difference is going from pinning my sandwich to glue basting. Much less weight and bulk. There are plenty of quilters out there who don't have the latest and greatest machines that are still happily making beautiful quilts. Relax and have some fun with the machine you have!

quilterpurpledog 02-10-2014 04:57 AM

I just measured the harp on my Bernina 530 and it is 7.25 inches from the needle to the arm. I have done a king size quilt on it and several queen sizes. For me the secret is to stabilize the quilt vertically and horizontally by stitching in the ditch along the seam lines of the blocks. Then, when quilting, I only need to be concerned about one block at a time. Then, because the blocks are stabilized I can work the outer blocks first. Then I put the binding on the quilt so I can cut away all of the excess stuff around the outside of the quilt. It greatly reduces the amount of bulk to deal with.

stnele 02-10-2014 06:11 AM

Go to Utube and look up quilt as you go.......

RugosaB 02-10-2014 06:28 AM

I have a 30 yr old Viking and find 3 things really help. As already mentioned, I split the batting into thirds, I accordion fold rather than roll the quilt, glue basting rather than pinning. Oops, 4:
I find it very important to have lots of tables, or whatever, to support the quilt so there is no 'drag' as it goes through the harp.

salederer 02-10-2014 07:41 AM

As other have said it would be easier with a larger harp. That being said, I have FMQ'd a queen size quilt on a machine with a 6" harp. I won't say it was easy, but I did a good job. Good enough that I got a second place ribbon in our judged quilt show at the county fair. So grit your teeth and go for it! Good luck.

tessagin 02-10-2014 07:51 AM

Just remember this; "If you tell yourself you can't, then you won't. If you tell yourself you can then your will. It's totally up to you. I know a lady who quilts with a handcrank. She's made some beautifully large quilts. it's up to you. The are videos out there on You Tube about quilting large quilts on small machines.

ShirlinAZ 02-10-2014 07:56 AM

I've fmq'd king size quilts with a 7" harp! Those who say you Can't should get out of the way of those who are doing it.

Annie Pearl 02-10-2014 08:10 AM

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement. I tend to second guess myself with everything. Like I said it's taken me 10 years to get the guts up to even try. I know now it can be done and have no excuse not to try.