Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Only 7 inch harp! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/only-7-inch-harp-t240713.html)

Annie Pearl 02-09-2014 08:16 AM

Only 7 inch harp!

I have a Viking Interlude 445 machine that's about 10 years old. It was sold to me with the understanding that I wanted to FMQ. It's taken me 10 years I guess to get the nerve to try and now someone told me my harp is too small.......it measures 7 inches. What do you think? Is it too small? I can't afford a new machine right now even with a trade in. :sew::)

Chasezzz 02-09-2014 08:24 AM

It would be easier with a larger harp, but you can still FMQ with the machine you have. You will need to roll up the area that is to the right of where you are quilting, so that it takes up as little of your 7" as possible. It will be difficult to do FMQ on very large pieces. I would suggest at first trying to do blocks using a quilt as you go technique and then attach the blocks together after being quilted (there are a number of ways to attached quilted blocks...do a search when you get to that point). Once you are very comfortable with FMQ on blocks, then try your larger pieces like a lap or baby quilt.

thimblebug6000 02-09-2014 08:24 AM

You can do small projects, probably up to a lap size quilt, it will be a little tight, but lots of us have done it. Use what you have & adjust, you can always quilt your larger quilts in quadrants.

quiltsRfun 02-09-2014 08:25 AM

Should be OK for FMQ but will be a little crowded for larger projects. Start with something small.

Hinterland 02-09-2014 08:26 AM

What size quilt are you planning to work on?

I had a Viking Lily that did a fantastic job with FMQ. I believe the harp size would have been about the same as the Interlude. I just shoved the quilt through and puddled the part I was working on around the needle. Granted it's a tight squeeze with a queen size quilt, but it can be done.

10 years ago, larger harps were not as common as they are now. Some fantastic quilts were made on machines with harps no bigger than yours - where there is a will, there is a way.

Janet

SueSew 02-09-2014 08:26 AM

7" is fine on a DSM - could be a couple inches bigger but you will do ok. I bet there are plenty of Board members here who do fine. A king or queen size quilt is a bit of a problem but there are a lot of ways to adjust.

Once you get up to speed with FMQ, if you like it, and you want to go gaga, then go for a big harp or a mid or long-arm.

The way I look at it, why spend thousands on something you may not end up liking or being delft at or even wanting to do?

Tartan 02-09-2014 08:28 AM

You may have difficulty pushing a large quilt through 7 inches but my Bernina only has about 9 inches I think. You only have to be concerned about from the center of your quilt and to the right for pushing it through the harp. You can turn the quilt for the other side once the first half is done. There is away the option of Quilt As You Go (QAYG) in block or section form and joining the blocks/sections later.

ManiacQuilter2 02-09-2014 08:29 AM

I have quilted for decades winning ribbons with my FMQ using my Bernina 1530 that has a 7.5" opening. I don't understand what your problem is?? I don't think 10 years ago there were few if any domestic sewing machine that had a wider opening. I am certain you can do it. Start practicing. Good Luck !!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-09-2014 08:34 AM

Give it a whirl! Don't worry about what "someone" says. I quilted a jumbo queen on a Walmart Brother machine with about a 4.5 inch harp. It's far from perfect, but it's done, and it wouldn't have been perfect if the harp was 2 feet long. You have to start getting you skills somewhere. Do some medium size things and see what you think. Don't let "someone" set you back another 10 years!

Jeanne S 02-09-2014 09:10 AM

I have quilted up to a twin size quilt on my small machine that size. You will be "wrestling" with it some, but definitely doable! Just take frequent breaks.