Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opened and closed.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opened-closed-t614.html)

triciasquilts 02-21-2007 07:37 AM

Patrice, I totally agree!!!! I also do quilt restoration and one of the biggest problems is poor seams. I almost always have to take them apart piece by piece and have always noticed the seams are pressed open. Doesn't make for a very strong seam when done like this.
I always try to do whatever I can to go over those bumps too, but find that if I plan and do it right, its very rare that I have these!!!
Thanks for you input.

Tricia

kathy 02-21-2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Dearest Pals and Buddies of Mine ...

Love ya both to pieces, but disagree enough to say it here. :?

If you hope a quilt will be passed down as an heirloom then strength of everything matters quite a bit. ever try to repair a 40 year old quilt that wasn't stitched together well in the first place? lots of not fun.

i almost never press open becaue i want as few seam allowances to show as possible. if bumps in the road present a significant problem when ditch stitching, i sometimes use a zipper foot so i can get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel close without having to go over the bump. i'll switch feet right in the middle of a line of stitching if i have to. but that's just me. i'll bet 1,000 people will read this and think i need to be locked up for it. LOL

Each quilter should feel free to use the method she or he feels achieves the best balance between appearance, ease to quilt, and long-term durability. it's in the constitution, i think. somewhere in the fine print of the 1st Ammendment. :wink:

ok I'll go for the last paragraph...to each his/her own

mimisharon 02-21-2007 12:56 PM

Oh good grief, I'm going to find out where these quilt police are and when will they be here to catch me up?

I sincerely believe everyone does the best they can with what they have. I HAVE had to try to reconstruct, it's never fun to reconstruct anything.

But get those marshals out after me, k?

patricej 02-21-2007 02:02 PM

come to my house. i'll not only hide you, i'll feed you too. :-)

Country Quilter 02-21-2007 02:11 PM

Sharon...you are too funny! LOL and I wouldn't worry about those darn police! they really don't exist! I happen to agree with you...I like the flat look to it when they are pressed open and I don't worry about it showing at all... but as said earlier...to each their own! LOL.... so I DID say earlier that it depends on the pattern and I couldn't at that time recall which ones but today I worked on a rail fence...and guess what? thats one where it doesn't matter so I DID press them to one side!

patricej 02-21-2007 02:25 PM

you bad, bad girl you.

:lol:

mimisharon 02-21-2007 05:01 PM

Country Quilter, you've burst my bubble! I really had hopes of having help on moving and sandwiching a couple of quilts. Now I have to do them all by myself! Shoot fire, I was really looking forward to those police coming. Who doesn't need more muscle when working on some of these quilts?

Hey Patrice, you better watch out, I'll take you up on the hiding out and feeding me one of these days.

:shock:

patricej 02-22-2007 01:03 AM

any time, GF, any time ...

:-)

kathy 02-22-2007 04:23 AM

hey everybody............. party at patrice's house

patricej 02-22-2007 04:55 AM

BYOB and c'mon over!!!

:mrgreen: