Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion - Should I handquilt or longarm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-should-i-handquilt-longarm-t263397.html)

cowpie2 03-31-2015 07:17 AM

Opinion - Should I handquilt or longarm?

1 Attachment(s)
I've just finished piecing this quilt by hand using EPP and hexagons. Now the debate is should I hand quilt or just send it out. I have hand quilted a few quilts, it takes time, but that isn't really an issue. I am keeping this one for me. If I handquilted it would either be just inside each hexagon or in a Baptist fan pattern. If I sent it out I was thinking feathers that followed the wavy paths. Your opinions please!

QuiltnNan 03-31-2015 07:23 AM

i'd love to see it hand quilted.

Buckeye Rose 03-31-2015 07:28 AM

What a beauty! And what a decision....hmmm....I think if it were mine, I would continue with the hand-sewing theme and do the quilting by hand as well. But....I sure do like the idea of feathers!

Tartan 03-31-2015 07:31 AM

It takes me a long time to hand quilt so I would either send it off to the long armer of machine quilt it myself. Lovely top so do what feels right to you.

quiltstringz 03-31-2015 07:58 AM

Do you Love handquilting - I mean really LOVE it, that is a pretty large quilt? Also do you have a deadline to have it done? Those are the 2 question would ask myself. If the answer to 1 was yes and to 2 no, I would go ahead and handquilt it. I think either the echo or Baptist Fan would look great

wolph33 03-31-2015 08:26 AM

Definitely send to a longarm quilter

JustAbitCrazy 03-31-2015 08:54 AM

I would like the look of handquilted lines inside each hexagon or else feathers following the waves of color, which probably would not be easy to do by hand, so longarming for feathers. I don't think I'd like the look of a Baptist Fan pattern as well on this top. Just mho.

KSellers 03-31-2015 09:51 AM

I just finished a grandmother's flower garden, and don't usually hand quilt. I decided if pieced by hand I was going to
quilt by hand. I did and really loved quilting by hand. I'm missing not having a TV project I can do while watching TV
with my husband in the evenings. I had no deadlines, but it probably only took me a few months to complete. Mine
was full sized. So I say hand quilt!

cowpie2 03-31-2015 10:28 AM

I believe I have done 4 queen size quilts by hand - at least that my memory allows for :). I would guess it would take me about 6 months to complete, mostly because I only work on them here and there when sitting around in the evening. I'm in no rush as this one is for me to keep. Thanks for the comment about Baptist Fan from JustAbitCrazy, I wasn't sure about it and I don't like to hand quilt over seams, the extra fabric bulk makes it harder.

Heather Elaine 03-31-2015 10:39 AM

If I had taken the time to hand piece a top then I would hand quilt it, even more so since it would be for myself.