Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion of Superior Threads So Fine #50 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-superior-threads-so-fine-50-a-t295434.html)

Barb2018 03-12-2018 06:22 AM

Opinion of Superior Threads So Fine #50

I've seen so many videos about the pros/cons of polyester thread and I think I'll see for myself. I was taught to piece and quilt with only cotton on cotton fabric. But so many other things I was taught went out the window when I tried things on my own. I use 50 for piecing everything except batiks, where I like to use 60 wt. I like to do the quilting in 40 wt. Superior seems to have a good product, but what do you think ? Oh, and yummi colors too.....

P-BurgKay 03-12-2018 06:34 AM

I use Masterpiece on top and Bottomline in my bobbin, I did have to tighten the tension on my bobbin, but I love the combination, my piecing accuracy has improved.

Sneed 03-12-2018 06:42 AM

Love it...I use it for piecing and quilting and find it cuts down on lots of lint in the bobbin area. I also use Bottom Line in the bobbin for wall hangings as they don't need to be as sturdy.

Peckish 03-12-2018 08:28 AM

I love it, too. I use Bottom Line exclusively for piecing, it's very strong and I find it increased my accuracy. I have a ton of longarmer friends who use King Tut exclusively for quilting, partially because their machines love it and partially because it's so available and easy to get.

pewa88 03-12-2018 08:35 AM

Superior Sew Fine is a great thread. I use it mainly for quilting and I love it and so does my machine. It is a strong thread but blends right into the fabric for a beautiful stitch. It produces very little lint. I also find that it is affordable.

ckcowl 03-12-2018 12:23 PM

I love Superior Threads thread. My machines love it.

mjpEncinitas 03-12-2018 01:25 PM

So fine 50 is my go to thread. I use it most of the time in the bobbins with any thread on top. I use it on top for machine quilting both walking foot and FMQ. It’s especially good for quilting if you don’t want the quilting to be obvious.

Rhonda K 03-12-2018 01:41 PM

It's the one I use also for piecing. For bobbins, I will wind 8-10 at a time and keep them in a small zip-loc bag in my sewing box. They are labeled and it's easy to change out when a new bobbin is needed. No need to stop and wind bobbins.

I've use white and a light gray color and just started on my third spool. The large spools go a long ways.

quiltingshorttimer 03-12-2018 08:08 PM

I love SoFine #50--use it probably 90% of the time in the long arm--rest of the time is with Superior's Bottomline or MicroQuilter or Permacore. King Tut is too linty and seems to break more when I'm LA. For piecing I like SoFine or BottomLine But SoFine is wonderful and comes in soooo many colors!

Ariannaquilts 03-12-2018 09:21 PM

I also was told everything had to be the same so cotton it was. A few years ago I asked my LA quilter what kind she used on her customers quilts, she said So Fine, so that is what I use for quilting. My piecing thread for the most part is generally cotton especially the ones I bought for use in my longarm that my machine and I both hated mostly because of the amount of lint but works fine for the piecing.