Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Opinion of Superior Threads So Fine #50

Opinion of Superior Threads So Fine #50

I've seen so many videos about the pros/cons of polyester thread and I think I'll see for myself. I was taught to piece and quilt with only cotton on cotton fabric. But so many other things I was taught went out the window when I tried things on my own. I use 50 for piecing everything except batiks, where I like to use 60 wt. I like to do the quilting in 40 wt. Superior seems to have a good product, but what do you think ? Oh, and yummi colors too.....

I use Masterpiece on top and Bottomline in my bobbin, I did have to tighten the tension on my bobbin, but I love the combination, my piecing accuracy has improved.

Love it...I use it for piecing and quilting and find it cuts down on lots of lint in the bobbin area. I also use Bottom Line in the bobbin for wall hangings as they don't need to be as sturdy.

"Making a Quilt and not showing it is like writing a song and not singing it..."

Blog Entries
    I love it, too. I use Bottom Line exclusively for piecing, it's very strong and I find it increased my accuracy. I have a ton of longarmer friends who use King Tut exclusively for quilting, partially because their machines love it and partially because it's so available and easy to get.

Superior Sew Fine is a great thread. I use it mainly for quilting and I love it and so does my machine. It is a strong thread but blends right into the fabric for a beautiful stitch. It produces very little lint. I also find that it is affordable.

Blog Entries
    I love Superior Threads thread. My machines love it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

So fine 50 is my go to thread. I use it most of the time in the bobbins with any thread on top. I use it on top for machine quilting both walking foot and FMQ. It’s especially good for quilting if you don’t want the quilting to be obvious.

It's the one I use also for piecing. For bobbins, I will wind 8-10 at a time and keep them in a small zip-loc bag in my sewing box. They are labeled and it's easy to change out when a new bobbin is needed. No need to stop and wind bobbins.

I've use white and a light gray color and just started on my third spool. The large spools go a long ways.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love SoFine #50--use it probably 90% of the time in the long arm--rest of the time is with Superior's Bottomline or MicroQuilter or Permacore. King Tut is too linty and seems to break more when I'm LA. For piecing I like SoFine or BottomLine But SoFine is wonderful and comes in soooo many colors!

I also was told everything had to be the same so cotton it was. A few years ago I asked my LA quilter what kind she used on her customers quilts, she said So Fine, so that is what I use for quilting. My piecing thread for the most part is generally cotton especially the ones I bought for use in my longarm that my machine and I both hated mostly because of the amount of lint but works fine for the piecing.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

i use superior thread on all my machines. fantastic thread

I use Superior threads for most of my quilting and piecing projects. I have tried others and keep migrating back to the Superior products. My favorite combination is to quilt with King Tut and use Bottom Line in the the bottom. I do like Masterpiece piecing. I have it in neutral colors only.

I try to use that kind exclusively. It's such a difference in lint build up with polyester thread.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    Superior Sew Fine is a great thread. I use it mainly for quilting and I love it and so does my machine. It is a strong thread but blends right into the fabric for a beautiful stitch. It produces very little lint. I also find that it is affordable.
    I've been having a lint problem lately. Thanks for the heads up - I kept thinking it was the fabric.

I've been using Bottom Line in top and bobbin for piecing and found that my accuracy improved quite a bit.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Our HQ loves the So Fine 50 weight, so I do, too!