Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions and help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-help-needed-t18421.html)

blzzrdqueen 04-01-2009 04:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I just finished block number 9. That is pic #1. I took all the blocks and laid them out on the floor so I could how big they looked together and to see how well they went together. That is pic #2.

The blocks are all supposed to be 12 1/2 inches unfinished. Some are, some are just under 12inches unfinished. One question I have, is how do I piece them together with them being different? Do I trim the larger ones to the size of the smallest? Also, I'd like to add a solid color strip between each block, and that color will be the same as the border, I'm thinking I'll use the black fabric I have (4 yards). I also wonder how much bigger I should go quilt size. I'm thinking 3 more blocks or 6 more blocks. Not sure what I want to do and I wanted to get some feeback.

What do you guys think? Please be honest as well. I love constructive critizism (sp?) and any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated!

12" Dewey's Victory (My variation)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30477[/ATTACH]

My 9 finished blocks...laid out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30478[/ATTACH]

montanaquilter 04-01-2009 04:51 PM

i personally trim to the smallest block-it's easier and less aggravating! This is just my personal opinion though. A solid border in between would look really good too. You're on your way to a beautiful quilt :P

rosemary128 04-01-2009 04:56 PM

I have this problem a lot. You might measure the smallest two blocks and average their dimensions, then cut the larger ones down to those dimensions. Good luck!

If it were up to me, I might add another 3 blocks at top or bottom...

rosemary128 04-01-2009 04:57 PM

p.s. Great work - I especially love the stars!

BlueChicken 04-01-2009 05:13 PM

If you trim the larger blocks, you'll lose some of your points.

It would be easier to cut your sashing slightly wider. (the solid colour between the blocks)

Attach your sashing, then trim the blocks to a uniform size. That way, you don't lose your points, and a quarter of an inch difference between one sash and the next won't be noticed from the back of a galloping horse. ;-)

blzzrdqueen 04-01-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
If you trim the larger blocks, you'll lose some of your points.

It would be easier to cut your sashing slightly wider. (the solid colour between the blocks)

Attach your sashing, then trim the blocks to a uniform size. That way, you don't lose your points, and a quarter of an inch difference between one sash and the next won't be noticed from the back of a galloping horse. ;-)

What would be a good width for the sashing?

BlueChicken 04-01-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

Ummmmmmmmmm...........

Keeping in mind you need to sash each block, then trim them to the same size, then attach to each other in rows - you will effectively have two strips of sashing between each block. I'd stick to the same colour, but you can have different colours.

If you cut your sashing at 1.5 inches, attach to the blocks, trim them all to the same size, then attach the sashed blocks to each other, you'd end up with roughly 2 inches between each one.

Does that make sense?

blzzrdqueen 04-01-2009 05:33 PM

Ummmmmmmmmm...........

Keeping in mind you need to sash each block, then trim them to the same size, then attach to each other in rows - you will effectively have two strips of sashing between each block. I'd stick to the same colour, but you can have different colours.

If you cut your sashing at 1.5 inches, attach to the blocks, trim them all to the same size, then attach the sashed blocks to each other, you'd end up with roughly 2 inches between each one.

Does that make sense?

Sort of. So I'm assuming I'll attach sashing to each of the 4 sides of each block, adding an inch all around if I cut my sashing at 1.5 inches. I think I'm still kind of confused about trimming...would I be trimming each individual block after I attach all 4 sides of sashing? Would I also be trimming to one set size? Maybe I'm confusing myself even more, lol!

blzzrdqueen 04-01-2009 05:34 PM

Ummmmmmmmmm...........

Does that make sense?

I'm also definetly sticking to black for all sashing and for the border around the quilt after all is pieced together.

BlueChicken 04-01-2009 05:37 PM

lol

Sorry, someone else may be able to put it clearer.

I would cut sashings at 1.5 inches, and attach to all four sides of the block. After sewing, your visible sash on one block will be 1.25 inches.

Do this with all the blocks.

Then, trim each one to the same size. So measure them all, pick the smallest and use that as a template to trim the others. You now have them all the same size. The difference in the sashing widths after trimming won't be visible to the naked eye, unless it's horrific (like a full inch or something).

Once you sew each block to the other, you'll lose another seam allowance, so the sashing on one side of one block will be a visible 1 inch (roughly). Join to the next block with it's one inch sashing, and you will have a two inch strip of colour between each block.

Is that better?
:-)