Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Opinions and help needed

  1. #1
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    So I just finished block number 9. That is pic #1. I took all the blocks and laid them out on the floor so I could how big they looked together and to see how well they went together. That is pic #2.

    The blocks are all supposed to be 12 1/2 inches unfinished. Some are, some are just under 12inches unfinished. One question I have, is how do I piece them together with them being different? Do I trim the larger ones to the size of the smallest? Also, I'd like to add a solid color strip between each block, and that color will be the same as the border, I'm thinking I'll use the black fabric I have (4 yards). I also wonder how much bigger I should go quilt size. I'm thinking 3 more blocks or 6 more blocks. Not sure what I want to do and I wanted to get some feeback.

    What do you guys think? Please be honest as well. I love constructive critizism (sp?) and any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated!


    12" Dewey's Victory (My variation)
    Name:  Attachment-30477.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  40.9 KB

    My 9 finished blocks...laid out.
    Name:  Attachment-30478.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  58.5 KB

  2. #2
    montanaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    871
    i personally trim to the smallest block-it's easier and less aggravating! This is just my personal opinion though. A solid border in between would look really good too. You're on your way to a beautiful quilt :P

  3. #3
    Junior Member rosemary128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    136
    I have this problem a lot. You might measure the smallest two blocks and average their dimensions, then cut the larger ones down to those dimensions. Good luck!

    If it were up to me, I might add another 3 blocks at top or bottom...

  4. #4
    Junior Member rosemary128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    136
    p.s. Great work - I especially love the stars!

  5. #5
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    If you trim the larger blocks, you'll lose some of your points.

    It would be easier to cut your sashing slightly wider. (the solid colour between the blocks)

    Attach your sashing, then trim the blocks to a uniform size. That way, you don't lose your points, and a quarter of an inch difference between one sash and the next won't be noticed from the back of a galloping horse. ;-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    If you trim the larger blocks, you'll lose some of your points.

    It would be easier to cut your sashing slightly wider. (the solid colour between the blocks)

    Attach your sashing, then trim the blocks to a uniform size. That way, you don't lose your points, and a quarter of an inch difference between one sash and the next won't be noticed from the back of a galloping horse. ;-)
    What would be a good width for the sashing?

  7. #7
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    What would be a good width for the sashing?
    Ummmmmmmmmm...........

    Keeping in mind you need to sash each block, then trim them to the same size, then attach to each other in rows - you will effectively have two strips of sashing between each block. I'd stick to the same colour, but you can have different colours.

    If you cut your sashing at 1.5 inches, attach to the blocks, trim them all to the same size, then attach the sashed blocks to each other, you'd end up with roughly 2 inches between each one.

    Does that make sense?

  8. #8
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    What would be a good width for the sashing?
    Ummmmmmmmmm...........

    Keeping in mind you need to sash each block, then trim them to the same size, then attach to each other in rows - you will effectively have two strips of sashing between each block. I'd stick to the same colour, but you can have different colours.

    If you cut your sashing at 1.5 inches, attach to the blocks, trim them all to the same size, then attach the sashed blocks to each other, you'd end up with roughly 2 inches between each one.

    Does that make sense?
    Sort of. So I'm assuming I'll attach sashing to each of the 4 sides of each block, adding an inch all around if I cut my sashing at 1.5 inches. I think I'm still kind of confused about trimming...would I be trimming each individual block after I attach all 4 sides of sashing? Would I also be trimming to one set size? Maybe I'm confusing myself even more, lol!

  9. #9
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    What would be a good width for the sashing?
    Ummmmmmmmmm...........

    Keeping in mind you need to sash each block, then trim them to the same size, then attach to each other in rows - you will effectively have two strips of sashing between each block. I'd stick to the same colour, but you can have different colours.

    If you cut your sashing at 1.5 inches, attach to the blocks, trim them all to the same size, then attach the sashed blocks to each other, you'd end up with roughly 2 inches between each one.

    Does that make sense?
    I'm also definetly sticking to black for all sashing and for the border around the quilt after all is pieced together.

  10. #10
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    lol

    Sorry, someone else may be able to put it clearer.

    I would cut sashings at 1.5 inches, and attach to all four sides of the block. After sewing, your visible sash on one block will be 1.25 inches.

    Do this with all the blocks.

    Then, trim each one to the same size. So measure them all, pick the smallest and use that as a template to trim the others. You now have them all the same size. The difference in the sashing widths after trimming won't be visible to the naked eye, unless it's horrific (like a full inch or something).

    Once you sew each block to the other, you'll lose another seam allowance, so the sashing on one side of one block will be a visible 1 inch (roughly). Join to the next block with it's one inch sashing, and you will have a two inch strip of colour between each block.

    Is that better?
    :-)

  11. #11
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    lol

    Sorry, someone else may be able to put it clearer.

    I would cut sashings at 1.5 inches, and attach to all four sides of the block. After sewing, your visible sash on one block will be 1.25 inches.

    Do this with all the blocks.

    Then, trim each one to the same size. So measure them all, pick the smallest and use that as a template to trim the others. You now have them all the same size. The difference in the sashing widths after trimming won't be visible to the naked eye, unless it's horrific (like a full inch or something).

    Once you sew each block to the other, you'll lose another seam allowance, so the sashing on one side of one block will be a visible 1 inch (roughly). Join to the next block with it's one inch sashing, and you will have a two inch strip of colour between each block.

    Is that better?
    :-)
    Much!! Thank you so much! I'm so new at this that every step after making the blocks is totally confusing to me! But now I get it! (The light is shining in my head, lol)


  12. #12
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    I have had that problem also. :? If you keep all your smallest patches together in the same row, it will be less obvious. :lol: BTW, your patches look lovely! :lol:

  13. #13
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

    Much!! Thank you so much! I'm so new at this that every step after making the blocks is totally confusing to me! But now I get it! (The light is shining in my head, lol)
    No worries! :-)

    Your blocks look awesome, can't wait to see them all together.

  14. #14
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    I should add, I agree with shemjo if the difference between them is not too bad you can fudge it and put the smallest ones on the same rows.

    But if the difference between the smallest and largest is quite big, then fudging your sashing is easier.


  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    72
    Looks great Jen. What is the name of the middle block in second pic? I do not reconize it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member blzzrdqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by cybercat
    Looks great Jen. What is the name of the middle block in second pic? I do not reconize it.
    I've been getting all my block patterns from quilterscache.com and the site owner calls it "Anvil".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.