Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions needed for 1 1/2" squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-needed-1-1-2-squares-t184905.html)

Handcraftsbyjen 04-03-2012 07:46 AM

Opinions needed for 1 1/2" squares

I'm currently working on a quilt with 1 1/2" squares and am debating if I should press all of the seams open or to the side. What would you do? (I usually don't press my seams open, but I'm wondering if this time I should.)

jmabby 04-03-2012 07:47 AM

I have pressed them to the side, but alternate, one to the left, one to the right. The seams won't get bulky that way

Handcraftsbyjen 04-03-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby (Post 5113246)
I have pressed them to the side, but alternate, one to the left, one to the right. The seams won't get bulky that way

That's what I usually do, but I'm just wondering if this time it'd be best to press them all open since they are all so small.

Holice 04-03-2012 07:59 AM

i tend to press open. it spreads the thickness a bit. Otherwise you will have three layers of fabric on a side. Pressing open you have two. It might be easier to match seams with pressed right and left but an be matched as well with them open. Just depends on the look you want and the time to more carefully match if open.

sewmary 04-03-2012 08:19 AM

Press open. You are doing away with the bulk on such little squares. It is very easy to match seams when pressed open.

janRN 04-03-2012 08:20 AM

I press seams open when the pieces are small. Just finished the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt-6" blocks with many pieces. There is no way I could have gotten my blocks squared up and flattened with all those seams pressed to the side. I found it easier to match up the many seam lines with the seams pressed open. I guess it's what works best for each individual. Maybe you could try a few pressed open and a few pressed to the side. See which you prefer. I also found if I press my seems open, that "scant" 1/4" seam we all search for doesn't matter quite as much since you don't have to allow for the extra fabric in the pressed area.
Good luck-anxious to see what you're making.

crafty pat 04-03-2012 08:22 AM

I press all my smaller ones open, I have better luck that way.

Havplenty 04-03-2012 09:03 AM

i am working on two postage stamp quilts with 1.5" squares and there isn't much bulk with pressing the seams to the side. it is important to alternate pressing the seams for each row so that they lock with each other when putting the rows together. i am sewing thousands of thousands of squares and havent had any problems with seam bulk with the seams pressed to the side.

QuiltingCrazie 04-03-2012 09:06 AM

I did a couple 9 patch table toppers with 1 1/2 inch squares and I did them open as well for bulk reasons.

Handcraftsbyjen 04-03-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks, everyone. It's always nice to have opinions from others.