Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Opinions needed for 1 1/2" squares

Opinions needed for 1 1/2" squares

I'm currently working on a quilt with 1 1/2" squares and am debating if I should press all of the seams open or to the side. What would you do? (I usually don't press my seams open, but I'm wondering if this time I should.)

Blog Entries
    I have pressed them to the side, but alternate, one to the left, one to the right. The seams won't get bulky that way

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby View Post
    I have pressed them to the side, but alternate, one to the left, one to the right. The seams won't get bulky that way
    That's what I usually do, but I'm just wondering if this time it'd be best to press them all open since they are all so small.

Banned
    i tend to press open. it spreads the thickness a bit. Otherwise you will have three layers of fabric on a side. Pressing open you have two. It might be easier to match seams with pressed right and left but an be matched as well with them open. Just depends on the look you want and the time to more carefully match if open.

Press open. You are doing away with the bulk on such little squares. It is very easy to match seams when pressed open.

I press seams open when the pieces are small. Just finished the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt-6" blocks with many pieces. There is no way I could have gotten my blocks squared up and flattened with all those seams pressed to the side. I found it easier to match up the many seam lines with the seams pressed open. I guess it's what works best for each individual. Maybe you could try a few pressed open and a few pressed to the side. See which you prefer. I also found if I press my seems open, that "scant" 1/4" seam we all search for doesn't matter quite as much since you don't have to allow for the extra fabric in the pressed area.
    Good luck-anxious to see what you're making.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I press all my smaller ones open, I have better luck that way.

Blog Entries
    i am working on two postage stamp quilts with 1.5" squares and there isn't much bulk with pressing the seams to the side. it is important to alternate pressing the seams for each row so that they lock with each other when putting the rows together. i am sewing thousands of thousands of squares and havent had any problems with seam bulk with the seams pressed to the side.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I did a couple 9 patch table toppers with 1 1/2 inch squares and I did them open as well for bulk reasons.
    *Rachel*

Thanks, everyone. It's always nice to have opinions from others.