Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-needed-t247363.html)

knitwitrosie 05-25-2014 10:22 AM

Opinions Needed

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using this really cool app on my iPad called Quiltology to design my Disappearing Nine-Patch Dr. Seuss quilt. The app is awesome!! I uploaded my fabric pics into the app and was able to use them in my design. Really helps with visualizing what the finished quilt will look like. Here's what I've got so far.....

My problem is where the solids make an "L-shape" in certain spots. Is that an eyesore and I should change it, or should I just leave it?

I know the directional fabric is all wonky. The app won't let you change it. I found a tutorial on how to handle directional fabrics on a D9P so it won't be like that on the final quilt.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions

Jeanne S 05-25-2014 10:51 AM

I think the "L" is tolerable, but it would bug me too..would you need to add one more solid color fabric to avoid it?

ManiacQuilter2 05-25-2014 11:25 AM

That is what happens when you don't use enough variety in your fabrics. You can probably work it out because the app doesn't see that two of the same fabric are next to each other. It would drive me nuts so that is why I always use a lot of different fabrics when I make a scrappy quilt. Did a Yellow Brick Road and I was literally changing a fabric in a few blocks. I know I have this problem so I have learn over the years how to avoid my problem.

Terri D. 05-25-2014 11:48 AM

I think the randomness of it is part of its appeal. That said, I agree with you about ensuring that the images on the directional fabric be positioned right side up, but other than that, my opinion is that you're good to go!

dunster 05-25-2014 12:08 PM

I'm fine with random. In fact I prefer it. I see no problems whatsoever with having L shapes, or with having prints upside down and sideways.

Dina 05-25-2014 01:16 PM

What cute fabric! I think the quilt is good as it is. I wouldn't let those L's bother me.

Dina

knitwitrosie 05-26-2014 07:40 AM

Thank you all for the input!! I really wanna get started on this today but am terrified to start cutting into the fabric until I have a game plan.

michelleoc 05-26-2014 08:42 AM

I think it looks great the way it is.

Marsh 05-26-2014 08:58 AM

In my humble opinion, I would change the position of the fabrics to get the "L's" out because when you look at the quilt for a couple of seconds, your eye goes right to the very dark "L's". Don't be afraid to cut the fabric and make the blocks, because once they are on your design wall you can have the fun of rearranging the blocks. Or if you like the way it is now, you could make a design creating "L's" with some of your colors coming down the quilt at an angle.

maminstl 05-26-2014 09:25 AM

I like the L's, but I don't like them all going in the same direction. Don't know if there is way to change around the blocks so that there is a more random look to them