Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Needed >

Opinions Needed

Opinions Needed

Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Default Opinions Needed

I'm using this really cool app on my iPad called Quiltology to design my Disappearing Nine-Patch Dr. Seuss quilt. The app is awesome!! I uploaded my fabric pics into the app and was able to use them in my design. Really helps with visualizing what the finished quilt will look like. Here's what I've got so far.....

My problem is where the solids make an "L-shape" in certain spots. Is that an eyesore and I should change it, or should I just leave it?

I know the directional fabric is all wonky. The app won't let you change it. I found a tutorial on how to handle directional fabrics on a D9P so it won't be like that on the final quilt.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 AM

I think the "L" is tolerable, but it would bug me too..would you need to add one more solid color fabric to avoid it?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

That is what happens when you don't use enough variety in your fabrics. You can probably work it out because the app doesn't see that two of the same fabric are next to each other. It would drive me nuts so that is why I always use a lot of different fabrics when I make a scrappy quilt. Did a Yellow Brick Road and I was literally changing a fabric in a few blocks. I know I have this problem so I have learn over the years how to avoid my problem.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:48 AM

I think the randomness of it is part of its appeal. That said, I agree with you about ensuring that the images on the directional fabric be positioned right side up, but other than that, my opinion is that you're good to go!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I'm fine with random. In fact I prefer it. I see no problems whatsoever with having L shapes, or with having prints upside down and sideways.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 PM

What cute fabric! I think the quilt is good as it is. I wouldn't let those L's bother me.

Dina
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Thank you all for the input!! I really wanna get started on this today but am terrified to start cutting into the fabric until I have a game plan.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 AM

I think it looks great the way it is.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 AM

In my humble opinion, I would change the position of the fabrics to get the "L's" out because when you look at the quilt for a couple of seconds, your eye goes right to the very dark "L's". Don't be afraid to cut the fabric and make the blocks, because once they are on your design wall you can have the fun of rearranging the blocks. Or if you like the way it is now, you could make a design creating "L's" with some of your colors coming down the quilt at an angle.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM

I like the L's, but I don't like them all going in the same direction. Don't know if there is way to change around the blocks so that there is a more random look to them