Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions please on a quilt idea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-please-quilt-idea-t250287.html)

Buckeye Rose 07-17-2014 06:17 AM

Opinions please on a quilt idea

I still have my satin wedding gown and hubby's tux, neither of which will ever be used again. I was thinking that I could use those, as well as fabrics from bridesmaid dress (I made it and still have scraps), ring bearer pillow, etc to make a wall hanging. Do you think it will look ok or am I way wrong in my thinking?

omacookie 07-17-2014 06:26 AM

I would make a shadow box with a glass cover. That way you would have a wedding photo, fabric from the dress and lace as well as the brides- maides . If you have ribbon from your bouquet that could also be used.

tessagin 07-17-2014 06:27 AM

Very good idea!

Originally Posted by omacookie (Post 6804985)
I would make a shadow box with a glass cover. That way you would have a wedding photo, fabric from the dress and lace as well as the brides- maides . If you have ribbon from your bouquet that could also be used.

Terri D. 07-17-2014 06:34 AM

Wonderful idea. Don't know what you're planning, but tying the pieces together with some decorative embroidery stitches like you see in crazy quilts might be something to consider. Please post a photo when it's completed!

quiltstringz 07-17-2014 06:43 AM

I think it is a great idea. Some place (can't remember where) I saw a quilt made out of the fabrics from wedding dress/bridesmaid dress. If you have trouble with the fabrics you may have to stabilize them some.

dunster 07-17-2014 06:54 AM

Several years ago there was an exhibit at the Sisters quilt show (indoors at the shop that sells clocks) of beautiful quilts made from wedding gowns. If I remember correctly, they were on the order of crazy quilts - lots of embellishment, really beautiful. Also a few years ago there were similar quilts for sale at one of the quilt shows in Portland. I think it could be a wonderful project.

Dina 07-17-2014 08:13 AM

Great project for sure, and full of memories!!

Dina

Jeanne S 07-17-2014 08:34 AM

At our local quilt show there was a fantastic crazy quilt made from a wedding dress with lots of trim, beads, lace and other embellishments. I love your idea of incorporating the dark (black?) tuxedo fabric as well as I love black and white quilts. Would be a great keepsake to have out and enjoy rather than out of sight in the back of a closet!!

lynnie 07-17-2014 08:42 AM

lots of great memories. think crazy quilts. they've held up. please show us your pictures.

Doggramma 07-17-2014 09:06 AM

I've incorporated both satiny and silky bridesmaids' fabric into a couple quilts. I backed them with a lightweight fusible interfacing and used them as "regular quilt fabric" with batiks and regular cotton quilt fabric. The only issue I had was with the satiny fabric. You can see the slight bumpiness of the interfacing, but my pieces weren't that large so it was all right.

On my "to do" list is using my daughter's white satin wedding dress fabric to do a whole cloth quilt without the interfacing. Just don't have the nerve to try it yet as the satin shows all the needle holes when I'd have to rip something out.