Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Order of piecing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/order-piecing-t266912.html)

Tartan 06-27-2015 07:34 AM

I do one complete block first. I like to check that it is coming out the right size, check which seams should be ironed which way or sewn first so the block lays flat. Decide if the colour/fabric patterns are really working etc.

Dolphyngyrl 06-27-2015 09:34 AM

I chain piece because its faster than doing it block by block and it is also faster with my blocking method for strip quilts. The only time I will do block by block would be paper piecing

Snooze2978 06-27-2015 09:38 AM

If its a new block to me I'll make up one block to make sure I know what I'm doing, then I go with the "in batches" strip piecing as I go. Just seems like the thing to do if you want to get it done. This keeps me from making too many mistakes. I still make mistakes but not as many if I do repetition.

silliness 06-27-2015 09:53 AM

It depends. If it is a simple block, such as Yellow Brick Road pattern, I do all the A blocks, then the B blocks, and so on. If it is something more complicated, such as a star or if there are any bias cuts, I make a test block first and then make all of the type of block. If there is a B block, I start the process all over again. Like some of the others, I am a chain piecer.

MadQuilter 06-27-2015 10:31 AM

I generally make a plan to identify the steps it takes to put the blocks together (starting from the cutting diagram). If it is a large quilt with lots of repetition, I sometimes finish one step of the process for all blocks, then move on to step 2. If I get bored, I take a sub-set of the pieces and finish a subset of the blocks. However, I NEVER assemble the rows until I have all of the blocks done. I find it easier to "park" a project as blocks or pieces than partly assembled with pieces still to do.

HouseDragon 06-27-2015 11:19 AM

I make one block to make sure the cutting and assembling instructions are correct.

Then I chain piece. I put the finished pieces on the design wall until all the blocks are finished. I don't sew any blocks together until all of them are complete.

Then I stand back and make sure I like the way the blocks are going to go together: especially log cabins.

Prekteacher 06-27-2015 12:18 PM

I also make one block to see if I like how it turns out, then I change it up as the mood strikes.

Maureen NJ 06-27-2015 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by beach quilter (Post 7239912)
I make one complete block, usually before cutting the rest of the pieces, then chain piece. Making the block first serves as a pattern, makes sure I am cutting correctly, and allows me to figure out pressing and sewing order

That's how I do it as well.

ube quilting 06-27-2015 04:32 PM

The most fun I get from assembly is making each block. I understand that this probably takes more time but I just love to watch the quilt grow block by block. It also lets me see what it will look like and if I don't like it early on then I haven't invested a lot of time sewing many sections together.

I cut and sew as I go and love it. I am not in any hurry and frankly I don't understand the speed every one is striving for. Fast seems to be the way of the world but not in my sewing.
peace

Jeanne S 06-27-2015 04:41 PM

Like many others, I make one complete block first as a trial run. Then I chain piece to create 4-6 blocks at a time. I get bored if I try to chain piece all the same pieces for the whole quilt. And by finishing 4-6 blocks at a time I get to see how the finished quilt is coming together.