Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Order of piecing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/order-piecing-t266912.html)

ruby2shoes 06-27-2015 01:36 AM

Order of piecing.

Being new to this forum I am interested in knowing how people approach their quilt construction when they have to deal with repitition. Do you piece "in batches" or in order of process? eg where a pattern calls for blocks constructed from several smaller blocks do you make all the smaller blocks required for the whole quilt before assembling the larger blocks or, do you make enough smaller blocks and then construct a larger block before making more smaller blocks?

helou 06-27-2015 01:41 AM

I do it according to my mood. No specific order except that I will do a few bigger blocks to see what it will look like then I will alternate so I don't become bored with repetition.

GailG 06-27-2015 01:52 AM

As helou said, it all depends on the mood. But mostly I like to construct block by block. Then row by row.

NJ Quilter 06-27-2015 02:39 AM

I have a tendency to chain piece all of my smaller units; progress to the next step with chain piecing, etc. until all the blocks are completed. I use quite a few sticky notes laid out with all my various parts; even with arrows drawn on them so I know which way things are supposed to go together. Still have a few ooops along the way but mostly am able to keep it all straight.

Granted, I sew in a room where I can keep everything out and 'as is' while working on projects and just shut the door. If I was sewing in the middle of the house, say, I probably would go block by block if I was having to put everything away all the time.

ManiacQuilter2 06-27-2015 04:02 AM

I also do it according to mood. This is a hobby after all for most of us and I want to enjoy the process. I do also like to chain piece since that does save time with piecing.

maminstl 06-27-2015 04:16 AM

I chain piece, but usually make blocks in batches - depending on the intricacy of the block, usually 5 to 10 at a time. I like breaking up the tasks a bit. Sew some, press some, square up some, then start over. I'm working on a 100 block project now where each one is different, so I choose individual fabrics and cut each one. I tend to have the same approach with that. I'll stack up 10 - finish them, then start again.

beach quilter 06-27-2015 04:44 AM

I make one complete block, usually before cutting the rest of the pieces, then chain piece. Making the block first serves as a pattern, makes sure I am cutting correctly, and allows me to figure out pressing and sewing order

GingerK 06-27-2015 04:53 AM

I also make a complete test block first, just to iron out any problems and to confirm that the cutting instructions are correct. Then I work in batches like maminstl. If I get pulled away or just plain tired of the project, at least I don't have a kazillion partially finished blocks.

Deb watkins 06-27-2015 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by beach quilter (Post 7239912)
I make one complete block, usually before cutting the rest of the pieces, then chain piece. Making the block first serves as a pattern, makes sure I am cutting correctly, and allows me to figure out pressing and sewing order

I do this as well, I like to se the completed block. I usually chain pieces that I can, afterwards. Blocks together, then rows together. I have a large design wall, so I can lay out the entire quilt before sewing the blocks/rows together. Sometimes I change the layout!

Melanie Rudy 06-27-2015 05:51 AM

I make all components first (chain piecing), gradually working up to the full blocks.