Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organizing hundreds of 4,5 inch patchwork squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-hundreds-4-5-inch-patchwork-squares-t297441.html)

Vandamme 06-08-2018 01:08 AM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 8072408)
I am not sure but maybe pin them onto a cork board? I would also love to see a picture of the quilt that is on the wall. all I can see are the appliqued feet but my interest is peaked. LOL

Nice suggestion @Annaquilts! I have saved one patchwork square (is that the correct term?) of every fabric I've ever bought since I started buying fabrics a couple of months ago, and I want to make a "Memory Quilt" or some other type of ongoing art to remember all the fabrics. I think I might install a turquoise-painted corkboard on one of my room walls, and pin the squares to it one by one.

Here are some pictures of that quilt on the wall. It was made by South African women, my father bought for me as a gift for my first semester in college, 23 years ago. If my memory serves me right, it was made by women suffering from HIV/AIDS as a part of an NGO's project to provide them with income. It's one of my most tresured possessions and has followed me the last 23 years in every country I've lived in on three continents:

The quilt was made by a woman named M. Mapuranga (I think, or Mapurango)

And the captions (in the handwritten note photographed, which is folded and tucked into the quilt block marked ** where the woman is pounding) read:

Work by Women:

1. They are carrying sack of maize
2. They are claypots
3. She is doing the washing
4. They are baskets on their heads
5. She is drying the clothes
6. They are carrying fire-wood
7. She is pounding **
8. They going for a walk
9. They are approaching

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595726[/ATTACH]

Jane Quilter 06-08-2018 01:44 AM

I would treasure that quilt of women for a lifetime, too. What a work of art! Thanks for sharing a photo of it.

Gannyrosie 06-08-2018 02:10 AM

Yes, you may need to just use ziplocks, if available, due to also the climate if humid you definitely want to keep them air tight.

What a wonderful quilt that represents the daily task of women there, and some women here complain if they have to take out the garbage. Their art is very similar to some of the primitive folk art we see here in Louisiana. Our however is always painted, Beautiful work.
Best of luck on your organization.

Karamarie 06-08-2018 04:14 AM

Sorting those squares would be a good sorting project for kids.

bearisgray 06-08-2018 04:43 AM

Thank you for sharing your quilt.

Geri B 06-08-2018 06:08 AM

Your photos are interesting...combination of 3rd world living conditions and modern, as we know it!
wishing you good luck in your endeavor, stay with us, you will learn much......about sewing a straight line....put several layers of painters tape ( sort of a masking tape) on right side of machine body before the needle, where you want the edge of your fabric to be....this will help keep you straight....as you lead fabric to needle....check out YouTube for many how to ttutes!

EmiliasNana 06-08-2018 06:25 AM

Your gifted quilt is amazing and definitely an heirloom. Your photos really show your love for your country and the people who share it with you. Keep posting your progress in the sewing world.

osewme 06-08-2018 08:11 AM

Welcome to The Quilting Board from Texas. I don't have any other suggestions for organizing your squares for your pillows but have seen some good ideas for you. If it were me, I think I would go with the zip lock plastic bags for storage & if you are afraid the bugs might eat through them you could then store the bags in plastic boxes.
I absolutely love your quilt gifted from your father during your college time. He could not have selected a better gift for you to cherish for your lifetime.
As I was reading your previous posts on the board about your pillow cases I have only one suggestion. If you are going to close them with a zipper you don't need a serger to finish off the raw edge along the inside of the zipper. You could use your zigzag stitch on your sewing machine & finish off the seam with the zigzag so the seam won't ravel.
Wishing you the best of luck with your new venture & thank you for your willingness to help your community learn new skills & allow them to earn more money for their families. This is a good thing you are doing.

zozee 06-08-2018 09:20 AM

Sounds like you have a joyful and rewarding life there in Congo. Makes me want to visit!

My first thought was also ziplock bags. Depending on how many you'd like to handle, choose either the sandwich size or the quart size, but be consistent. When containers are all the same and shape, it just feels better organized.

After reading about the bug problem, I agree that putting those bags inside of clear shoeboxes (or similar box with lid) is smart. Of course, you could have your carpenter build a hinged box that closes tightly, but only you know what the critters are likely to do. If he can make a box for you, I'd suggest one that you can carry easily and fit the squares of bags inside, in a way that they lie flat (don't want to have to re-iron them. Label everything with easy-to-read lettering.

bearisgray 06-08-2018 09:34 AM

If you only have a few of each color, the sandwich size bags are adequate.

If you have quite a few, go with the quart size bags.

I agree with zozee - be consistent - it looks neater