Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organizing hundreds of 4,5 inch patchwork squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-hundreds-4-5-inch-patchwork-squares-t297441.html)

Vandamme 06-07-2018 01:56 AM

Organizing hundreds of 4,5 inch patchwork squares

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I've researched "organize" in all the threads and came up with dozens of mentions of organizing fat quarters and fabric rolls and scraps but I'm specifically looking for how to organize my squares.

I have hundreds of them in about 40 patterns in a box for the time being. But they're all mixed up, and when I organize them in stacks, they take up too much space.

Should I look for pullout plastic boxes, or a custom-built shelf? (we have a school so I have a carpenter on hand)

I want to organize them by color. I have reds, pinks, blues, greens, and neutrals.

here is a picture of my squares for the moment. I feel so disorganized. If that has been answered before, please forgive me and I'd love the link to the previous forum post.

Here is a picture of my squares in their crappy box:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595661[/ATTACH]

Thanks!!

Vandamme.

SillySusan 06-07-2018 02:41 AM

Since I've been here, I've cut hundreds of scraps into 8" to 5" squares. I have literally 1000's of squares now. I don't have them sorted by color (yet). I have them sorted by sizes and I found that plastic boxes of my answer. I have 2 old 3 -shelve bookshelves in my sewing room and have 3-4 of the boxes for each size square. It's not perfect...nothing is outside of God, but it is working for me.

Before I started cutting the squares, I had the scraps crammed into a couple of dozen cardboard boxes, large totes, and plastic bins. Now I am down to 4 large piles. I am not a very organized person, but I'm getting there. :)

ArtsyOne 06-07-2018 02:41 AM

I keep my charm squares in plastic containers - they're tall and vertical with a lid and are intended for food storage. I also use the plastic containers that my dishwasher tablets come in. I think that cd/dvd storage cases would work if you want to stack the squares on end - I've seen them really cheap at thrift stores.

Vandamme 06-07-2018 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Vandamme (Post 8072047)
I have hundreds of them in about 40 patterns in a box for the time being. But they're all mixed up, and when I organize them in stacks, they take up too much space.

Here is how much space they take when I lay them out. I have about ten patterns missing from this photo. But it's a real headache to have them stacked up and ready for production as I'm making dozens of cushions and want to pull from the stacks as I design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595662[/ATTACH]

Vandamme 06-07-2018 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8072050)
I found that plastic boxes of my answer.

Thanks SillySusan, I'll look into plastic boxes. We don't have great amounts of choice here (in Congo) but I'll see whats available.

Vandamme 06-07-2018 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 8072051)
I keep my charm squares in plastic containers - they're tall and vertical with a lid and are intended for food storage. I also use the plastic containers that my dishwasher tablets come in. I think that cd/dvd storage cases would work if you want to stack the squares on end - I've seen them really cheap at thrift stores.

Thanks for both of those options! Unfortunately we don't have thrift stores here, but I'll look in the market and see if there are shelves like the ones you talk about.

bearisgray 06-07-2018 02:54 AM

sandwich size ziplock plastic bags might work for holding each pattern - and then the bags could be stored in boxes.

quilterpurpledog 06-07-2018 03:24 AM

I think ziplock bags are the answer to so many storage problems in the sewing room and this is certainly one of those things. Bags of each print or type is the start. Then, you can organize the bags in groups you plan to use and have flexibility to change your mind on a whim.

Homespun 06-07-2018 03:31 AM

Your squares are so colorful!

Geri B 06-07-2018 04:07 AM

Ziplock type bags sounds the most practical way for you right now, in my thinking. Your pillow covers are so busy with pattern, even just reach into box and take whatever wouldn't make much difference......have you condidered adding solids occasionally?
Oh, tell us about the Congo!! Why are you there, how long, doing what, etc.......