Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   organizing scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-scraps-t97294.html)

quilter53 02-06-2011 01:25 PM

I have so many scraps of my own and hand me down scraps. I have been organizing. There are sizes, colors, shades, and shapes. Plus full yardages. I have lot of already sewn different blocks, also. :-D I have a lot of different size squares. There are so many ideas to use them that sometimes my brain gets a brain freeze. lol I am going to use my 5" squares for the pinwheel block that we are doing here. Yay, I have made a decision. I have so much that I need to do "something" with. I want to do strips and squares and half triangles and pinwheels...Oh, the list goes on and on and on... whew. Oh well, I welcome any ideas. ;-) It's a good thing I am a lover of scrappy!

Vanuatu Jill 02-06-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by quilter53
I have so many scraps of my own and hand me down scraps. I have been organizing. There are sizes, colors, shades, and shapes. Plus full yardages. I have lot of already sewn different blocks, also. :-D I have a lot of different size squares. There are so many ideas to use them that sometimes my brain gets a brain freeze. lol I am going to use my 5" squares for the pinwheel block that we are doing here. Yay, I have made a decision. I have so much that I need to do "something" with. I want to do strips and squares and half triangles and pinwheels...Oh, the list goes on and on and on... whew. Oh well, I welcome any ideas. ;-) It's a good thing I am a lover of scrappy!

jeaninmaine on the board here just posted a request for anyone who had scraps they could spare. She doesn't much. Maybe you could look up her post. Sounds like you've been busy!

Pamela Artman 02-06-2011 01:51 PM

I am happy to report that I FINALLY got a handle on all my scraps. I've been quilting for over 30 years, so I had a TON of scraps. While recuperating from a broken foot and ankle, I went through all my many boxes of scraps and cut them into strips and squares. I bought stackable plastic drawers and I have 9 drawers of scraps. I have squares in 2", 2.5", 3", 4" and 5". I have strips in 1" through 4" (in half inch increments.) And finally, I have a drawer of larger pieces that I did not want to cut into strips but smaller than 1/4 yard. Within each drawer, the strips and squares are sorted by color, light to dark. Fat quarters are stacked on a separate shelf and anything over 1/2 yard is folded on my shelves. It feels soooo good to have them all organized and they are so easy to use. I love scrappy quilts and I normally make scrappy quilts with controlled colors so it's easy to open my drawers and pull out all my green pieces, or all my blue strips. And it's so much fun to just open the drawers and see all my neat piles of strips and squares! Good luck!

Vanuatu Jill 02-06-2011 02:17 PM

Sounds like your were busy! Can you post a photo of your orgainzed stash????

sewwhat85 02-06-2011 02:21 PM

i only wish i could be that organized

quilter53 02-06-2011 02:25 PM

What are some of the quilts or blocks you used your squares and strips to make? Pics would be wonderful.

oksewglad 02-06-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I am happy to report that I FINALLY got a handle on all my scraps. I've been quilting for over 30 years, so I had a TON of scraps. While recuperating from a broken foot and ankle, I went through all my many boxes of scraps and cut them into strips and squares. I bought stackable plastic drawers and I have 9 drawers of scraps. I have squares in 2", 2.5", 3", 4" and 5". I have strips in 1" through 4" (in half inch increments.) And finally, I have a drawer of larger pieces that I did not want to cut into strips but smaller than 1/4 yard. Within each drawer, the strips and squares are sorted by color, light to dark. Fat quarters are stacked on a separate shelf and anything over 1/2 yard is folded on my shelves. It feels soooo good to have them all organized and they are so easy to use. I love scrappy quilts and I normally make scrappy quilts with controlled colors so it's easy to open my drawers and pull out all my green pieces, or all my blue strips. And it's so much fun to just open the drawers and see all my neat piles of strips and squares! Good luck!

That's making lemonade out of lemons for sure!

CompulsiveQuilter 02-06-2011 03:24 PM

I cut my scraps into 2 1/2" strips - only one of each, for a jelly roll quilt - and one WOF into 3 x 5 bricks, for a quilt of scrappy flying geese. I stuck with that size so I can also use my existing charm squares and strips. That way I don't have to sub-sort into colors. It's working!

Vanuatu Jill 02-06-2011 03:56 PM

Honestly, unless you already know how you will use your scraps, why does everyone pre-cut them??? What if you decide you wanted that perfect scrap for a project and need a 5 inch block, and you cut them all to 4 inch-or need 2 1/2" strip, and you cut them to 2"?? I squeeze every inch I can from fabric.

quilter53 02-06-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Honestly, unless you already know how you will use your scraps, why does everyone pre-cut them??? What if you decide you wanted that perfect scrap for a project and need a 5 inch block, and you cut them all to 4 inch-or need 2 1/2" strip, and you cut them to 2"?? I squeeze every inch I can from fabric.

I have thought the same thing. Usually, what I cut into squares, etc. is something I won't use elsewhere and scraps that are too small for anything else.