Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ott-Lites (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ott-lites-t258.html)

8517319lanellruff 01-22-2007 08:16 PM

I HAVE THE OTT LITE,I HAVE ,ONE THAT A FLOOR LAMP.I LOVE MINE TO QUILT BY OR READING.YOU CAN REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN DARK COLORS.LINDA,MS.

gr8tchr4u 01-23-2007 09:52 AM

Kathy,

I have a small portable Ott. I got it at a screaming sale at JoAnn's. I have to say that I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but then I don't have a dedicated sewing space, like many of you,either.

When I do use it, I love it! It takes away the glare, doesn't 'blind' you like regular lights do, and when I am piecing or using a rotary cutter, it is invaluable for keeping glare off my fabric and board.

Lisa

kathy 01-24-2007 04:33 AM

I'm liking my OttLite more everyday. one thing is that I sit beside and a little in front of my husband when I quilt so the other lamp really bothered him watching TV, I can tilt this one slightly and it doesn't bother him at all. For me things are much clearer.
kathy

GayKennedy 01-27-2007 09:50 AM

I bought the ott floor model when I was doing a lot of counted cross stitch. I love it. I don't know that the brand makes as much difference as just the type of light it is. It helps me a lot when I am doing handwork and even at my machine now.
Gay

quiltaholic60 01-28-2007 07:27 AM

I also found it not to be bright enough.,..But maybe I didnt buy one large enough... :?

kathy 01-29-2007 04:15 AM

yes you have to be sure to get the most wattage, I can't remember if mine is 25 or 40 but it's the most I saw. In a regular bulb 40 watts is nothing but these bulbs are so much different it's fine.

Minda 01-30-2007 04:17 PM

Try this site for full spectrum lighting with 42, 55 and 70 watt lights. I have a 55 watt light and I love it. It also has a dimmer control so you can use it from lowest to highest setting.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com

vicki reno 02-02-2007 09:30 AM

I have 2 Ott lights, one is a floor model and it is behnd my sewing machine. The other one is clamped to my cutting table. My son gave me a diffent brand, cheaper, and it is in our house in the mtns. I sew there too. I got a free daylight lamp, as it was called when I bought a new carpet sweeper, and it isn't nearly as good, but it was free so I can't complain. I find they all help. I wear glasses and it makes everthing a lot easier to see. I don't know how I ever sewed before I got them. The "free one" is perched on the floor by the ironing board. It isn't as good, but like I said, its better than not having one at all. I use my ironing board a lot since I do aplique using fusible webbing and it helps when picking out fabrics to use in projects. I haven't ad any problems with them.

Marilyn Philips 02-16-2007 12:50 PM

Hi: Haven't been on lately but got your question. I have a tall floor model of the Ott light which I like very much, but I wanted a small table top one as well. I looked in the lamp department of my local supermarket for a small lamp but did not find one. However, I did find just what I was looking for in the children's area for desk equipment. It's perfect, only about 3-4" wide and about 10" tall with a flip-up light section. It's very small and compact but gives a good light directly on your machine stitching area. The best part of it is that it only cost me just under $8.00 including tax.
Hope this helps you.

Marilyn Philips 02-17-2007 01:37 PM

:thumbup: Kathy: I have a floor style Ott lamp and I like it very much, but I wanted a small table top (no clamp style) for when I move my sewing machine to my dinner table. I found a small one, about 3 1/2" x 10" with a flip up light that works very well to see the stitching area on your sewing machine. I tried looking in the lamp section of my local supermarket, but they didn't have one. However, I happened to go through the children's furnishings area and found just what I was looking for. It has a fluorescent bulb, is lightweight and fits perfectly on my machine top and is easy to move around. For anyone in the metro Detroit area I found it at Meijers. Hope you find what you're looking for.
:idea: :idea: