Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ouch! I burned my finger again!!! Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ouch-i-burned-my-finger-again-help-t160217.html)

Willa 10-14-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
I know this is a bit late, being that the burn did not just happen... but keep this in mind for any future mishaps... I know it will sound weird... but it works. I am a very clumsy person, always burning the tips of my fingers on something, be it a candle, the iron, hot pans, etc...

when it happens, put the burned finger (tip or side) to your earlobe... not sure why but it pulls the heat out, and it heals pretty quickly (for me at least)....
hold your finger to your earlobe while you head to the fridge for the ice and mustard, then to the aloe plant for the aloe... once done with those, go back to the fridge and make yourself a sandwich using the mustard and your favorite filler, and a nice ice cold drink of your choice.... of course... using ice.

your finger will feel better, you won't be hungry or thirsty, as we all know we tend to forget to eat and drink when we start sewing.

oh and don't forget to turn off the iron

Yep if you remember to do this right away, this does help.
Also egg white.

BellaBoo 10-14-2011 01:56 PM

Call your Dr. and get a prescription for Silverdine. It is for burns not serious enough to go to the ER. I'm forever getting a burn in the kitchen. It works fast and is the best thing for a bad sunburn too. I keep the jar in the fridge and it lasts for years. You can try home remedies but the stuff that is made for burns is the best.

bj 10-14-2011 05:17 PM

I think I also read one time to use egg whites.

Glassquilt 10-14-2011 06:22 PM

My mom used egg whites. That was back when eggs & bacon were good for you - we had plenty of egg shells after breakfast. That was also before permanent press clothes so there was a lot of ironing.

Greenheron 10-14-2011 06:24 PM

A&D Ointment or most any ointment to exclude air.

annthreecats 10-14-2011 06:27 PM

You might want to get a small dowel stick or a bamboo knitting needle and use that instead of your finger by the iron. It might save your fingers. Be careful.

The aloe is great for burns.

doll-lady 10-14-2011 06:38 PM

i just got an email about burns and it said when you get burned to splash cold water on the burn and then separate two egg whites from the yolks and spread that all over the burned area and do it more than once if the burn is very bad and that will form a dried layer on your skin. i guess you leave it on the burn as long as you can and the email said it would heal quickly and leave no scar. it said this is taught to fireman as a first type of treatment they could do if they have the egg whites handy.

LucyInTheSky 10-14-2011 06:40 PM

Lavender is amazing for burns. I buy pure lavender oil (not the cheap stuff you can buy most places). Soothes so quickly and heals quickly too. I prefer to aloe

ewecansew 10-14-2011 09:12 PM

I have the finger thing from Sew Unique and just last week I found a glove in the hair styling section at Walmart to wear when using a hair straightener or curling iron. Why not using it for quilting? It will NOT protect you from stream.

Boopadoop quilts 10-20-2011 09:35 PM

hi, boopadoop quilts here, try neosporin or generic equivelent on your burn , takes the pain away .alovera gel is good also.if you have the alovera plant , just cut piece off, and put liquid inside on the burn.hope this helps you. betteboop46