Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-most-embarrassing-funniest-mistakes-while-quilting-sewing-t205595.html)

Mimiqwerty 11-19-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5651041)
FrayChek is a poor substitute for sewing machine oil.

Oh My Gosh! I could so see myself doing that. I really need to get better lighting in my sewing room before this happens. :eek:

Maggiemay 11-19-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
FrayChek is a poor substitute for sewing machine oil.

And spray basting is a poor substitute for spray starch- yep, did that to one of my husband's shirts!

mebesandee 11-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quite a few years back I made a lined wool cape for a friend. She loved it. First time she wore it was with her then boyfriend now husband to the drive-in movie...oh did I say a "few" years??? Well, anyway, she said they were sitting right next to each other and in a romantic moment she
screamed ...I left a pin in the lining...sewn in mind you. She said he liked to jump out the window!!!

Hylarie 11-19-2012 04:03 PM

Last year I had four baby blankets I was making for friends. All four were due within 3 weeks of each other! So I was working on the last blanket, for my cousin's little girl. I got the blanket finished and quilted, then realized I had sewed the last two strips in the wrong order! Threw off my entire pattern, So I ripped out the quilting, and started to rip the seams in the strips so I could switch them back. Halfway through ripping I realized I was ripping out the wrong two rows!!!! Wasn't funny to me at the time (though everyone else chuckled). Now though I realize it's just a learning process, so while I still blush I can laugh too!

DACO48 11-19-2012 08:42 PM

Yep, I've a couple of real doozies too. One in particular.. . . .I was making a dress for myself when I was just learning to sew. The dress had a large cap style sleeve. I got one sleeve to fit perfectly sewed it. I could not for the life of me get the second sleeve to fit correctly. I must have refit it a dozen times. I finally gave up, called my mom, bundled up my new baby and headed out in a snowstorm 7 miles to have my mom help me. She proceded to look at the dress while I unbundled my little guy. I hadn't even got him unwrapped when she looked at me and said, "YOU DUMB ****, you are trying the fit the sleeve into the neck. Then she went into a fit of hysterics. She never let me forget it!!

JustAbitCrazy 11-19-2012 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C (Post 5647196)
Sewing blocks together one was wrong way.Did this ALMOST 3 times Same Block for goodness sake

LOL! Toni, when I do this, I know it's time for bed!

Betty Ruth 11-22-2012 06:33 PM

I took my sewing machine in for repairs once because it just wouldn't sew. The only thing wrong with it was that I had failed to return the lever that holds the bobbin onto the spindle after I had filled the bobbin. On that machine, the lever usually returns on its own when the bobbin is removed. That time, it didn't, and I failed to check. Lesson bought is usually well learned. You can be suse that's the first thing I check when there is any kind of a problem.

nakotha 01-24-2013 01:25 AM

Any funny mistakes in 2013?

bunniequilter 01-24-2013 07:36 AM

Teaching a class and not being able to figure out how tho turn on the loaner sewing machine, got that figured out and accidently changed the language on the touch screen to Japanese.

Cagey 01-24-2013 07:55 AM

I was a newbie quilter and decided I wanted to buy a Fons & Porter stilleto. Used it a few times and was so disgusted with the quality as the point was bending over - until I realized I had the plastic cover on it the whole time. Sure works great after I took the cover off! Almost hate to admit I did something that DUH but guess that's how we learn.