Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing

Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing

Howdy!
    Last night - out of the blue - a memory popped into my mind and it made me giggle. Last year I finished a quilt. I sewed the binding with the machine and didn't realize that there was no thread on the bobbin. So I was sewing round and round and round and it took about 10 minutes till I was wondering that something didn't worked as planned. Back then I was thinking, that I must have been a stupid geese. Today it is a very funny memory.

So, what are your most embrassing/funniest/weird mistakes while quilting/sewing? Please share them!

having a ruffling border
    sewing something on the back that isn't suppose to be there
    i blush...

somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Sewing blocks together one was wrong way.Did this ALMOST 3 times Same Block for goodness sake

I was creating a bag (just my own little version of the bowtucks) and finished, thinking "wow, I really like that". Then went to change everything over from my other bag and realized I had sewn one side of the lining, pockets and all, upside down! I wasn't exactly laughing though....my seam ripper and I had quite the conversation that morning!

I made a quilt for my DILs mother who is a friend of mine. The day I gave it to her (it was a suprize ) her mother was here with her. She was thrilled! As she spread it out on my sofa to see the whole quilt I noticed that I had sewn one side of the binding on backwards! I was so embaressed and said I would fix it. She said I shouldn't change a thing! She loved it as it was. Now I see it every time I go to her house.
    Mary

Sewing through my thumb. I don't remember the particulars, but I do remember seeing thread coming out of my thumb nail and my husband calling the nurse helpline to see what to do about it. Not my best moment.

I was BOM chairman for our quilt guild and when showing a few sample blocks at a board meeting I realized I had sewn a section of one of the blocks in backward order, so it didn't make the flower design intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
    somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!
    lol, sounds like something I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
    Sewing through my thumb. I don't remember the particulars, but I do remember seeing thread coming out of my thumb nail and my husband calling the nurse helpline to see what to do about it. Not my best moment.
    Oh that hurts to think about it.

I have made so many, its NOT funny. lol

Yep, three times!
    I sewed blocks together, right side to wrong side, ripped out, sewed again the wrong way, ripped out, sewed again the wrong way.
    Closed everything down, went to bed.
    Started over, with ripping, the next day.

One time I was sewing a pair of shorts for one of my kids. I don't recall exactly how I did it because it doesn't bear thinking about too closely, but somehow I sewed side to side instead of front to back and ended up with a pair that had a huge round waist and tight skinny legs. I probably could have ripped the seams out and fixed it, but I was so mortified I tossed the whole thing. And no, it wasn't even my first time sewing shorts!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

My DD made a pair of elastic waist pants for herself & sewed both legs together. She had one giant leg. We still laugh about it. And yes, she is a very experienced sewer.

Blog Entries
    Chain stitched 15 prs of 4 1/2" sqs together with no thread in the needle

Now THAT would be embarrassing!

Actually that was a very "teachable" moment. Students can be aware that these things happen and does not have to be a moment for panic or frustration. The best thing to do is: 1st, laugh; and second, rip.

Oops! Forgot to mention that I had many "teachable" moments in my 33 years of teaching. My most "memorable" was the day of my evaluation by the parish supervisor, I misspelled one of the spelling words on the board. I had reversed two letters. I was mortified when she quietly pointed it out to me. I quickly used the moment to point it out and had a little side lesson on that.
    Last edited by GailG; 11-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

That had to be entertaining!

Blog Entries
    Mine was not witnessed by anyone other than family.

We were heading on a trip early one morning. We had packed the night before and laid out our clothes, so we could just get dressed, brush our teeth and leave.

I pull on my pants and the button pops off. I grabbed the button and needle and thread and we left.

I sat in the car while DH drove and sewed on the button, while wearing the pants.

We got to the ferry and I undid my seat belt. Yep, I had sewed my pants to the seat belt! I had to remove the button, then resew it to my pants only before I could get out of the car.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Being so happy to be finished when clipping that last thread and cutting a hole in my quilt.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm I don't know that the right word for how I felt is "embarrassed", I guess I don't embarrass easily... but I did quilt a scrap onto the back of a small quilt I was quilting on my DSM. I laughed and showed everybody so they could chuckle, too.

I sewed garments for years before starting to quilt. Last year I decided to make my husband a Christmas shirt. You see so many holiday shirts for women & my husband has more Christmas spirit than most 10 people put together. I was making him a black camp style shirt with a row of Christmas prints down the front. It was coming together nicely- kind of elegant, but fun & I was quite pleased with myself. I am pretty sure I even said" Wow, you still got it! " out loud! After I had trimmed the sleeve I held it up to look at & I had cut a HUGE gash through the sleeve! Brought me back down to earth pretty fast! I had to go out & buy more fabric for the sleeve.....It did come out nice & he does like it, but I still laugh at myself & my cockiness!

Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
    Sewing blocks together one was wrong way.Did this ALMOST 3 times Same Block for goodness sake
    I have totally done that.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

It certainly wasn't funny at the time, but I once cut a sleeve out of my mother's tablecloth that I had failed to completely remove from the kitchen table before I started cutting. After she stopped fussing, we cut TWO blouses out, one from the fabric, and one from the kitchen tablecloth. It really was a pretty tablecloth. I smile every time I see my high school senior picture. I was wearing my mother's tablecloth. I should hunt it up and post a photo...
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast