Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing

Years ago I made a rather fancy dress for myself. There was a slit up the front and when I walked the sides kept flopping back. So, in all of my wisdom I decided to put weights in the bottom corners of the dress. When we went to the buffet table (after my dress attached itself to the table) I realized that not only were they weights, they were also magnets. I kept pulling my dress away from anything metal all night. I still laugh at myself for that one. You can dress me up but can't take me anywhere.
    Marilyn

My "duh" moment was when I had completed a handbag for myself and gave myself a big pat on the back for a job well done. I grabbed my old handbag and started putting my things into my new bag which kept making a crinkling sound every time I put my hand in it. I finally figured it out......I was out of stiff interfacing to use in the pockets so used Steam A Seam which worked well, but I forgot to take the paper backing off!! That took the wind out of my sails real quick!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I love your magnets story. Laughed out loud at that!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.
    I did the same thing. The directions said to stitch handles across from each other ---so that is what I did! LOL!

Many, many years ago, long before spray basting, I had a king size quilt on a plush carpeted floor all laid out to baste it. When I got done I went to lift it up & had managed to baste to to the carpet as well. I thought I was being so careful. My mom nearly wet herself laughing at my opps moment. I went out & bought a huge cardboard cutting board after that one.
    ~Dana~

Blog Entries
    My dumb moments was machine quilting in cream on a quilt spent all afternoon doing a wonderful job.
    When I took it out and looked at the back and had still got a dark green in the bobbin. Forgot to check
    The colour in bobbin.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
    Sewing through my thumb. I don't remember the particulars, but I do remember seeing thread coming out of my thumb nail and my husband calling the nurse helpline to see what to do about it. Not my best moment.
    Yep, did that except with was my index finger AND I was home alone. Man, it hurt to pull that finger off the needle!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Got ready for church, then read all the replies to this thread and laughed so hard I had to fix my face again. Can't wait to check in again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
    somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!
    That sounds like a very valid teaching method! What an ice breaker!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    Years ago in my garment sewing days, I sewed the right sleeve in the left arm hole and the left sleeve in the right armhole. After trying it on I realized my mistake, took it all out and turned around and did the same thing again!
    Can you believe the third time I started to do it again, but caught myself after a few inches of sewing. Unbelievable!
    Kay Kuilts

I made a Freedom Quilt a few years back. It's a wonky Log Cabin, with the squares tilted one way and then the other. It had been to two quilt shows, and I had it on my bed for several years before I noticed that one of the squares is not tilted according to the pattern of "tilts". Now we'll see how I can keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone else.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

LOL! Loved these! I have a good one. Newly married and still in school (aka broke), my husband was working for a furniture company. He would bring left over chintz/cotton fabric home that was appropriate for me to make dresses, etc. (I was student teaching, and needed to look professional on a dime.) Low and behold, we go to a house design open house, (a rather dressy affair), and I am standing there, matching the sofa. I stayed in the kitchen. LOL
    Ruth Krug

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
    somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!
    so funny

A few years ago I was in a round robbin where we exchanged a piece of focal fabric to be used to make a row, we kept the row we made for our selves. When all rows were completed we got together to exchange rows and asemble our quilts. I was the only one out of the 12 to use my own focal fabric wrong side up! LOL The girles still put notes on fabric for me-THIS SIDE UP-

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has done that! Ha ha ha

Last year I made Star Block quilts for two nun that taught me in High School (45 years ago). As I was getting them ready to mail, I noticed that one star point faced the wrong direction on both quilts. They are completed and oh well, I let them know that I am not perfect. They both loved the quilts and said it made them special.

I just did this recently. After designing an original pattern, I took a new sheet of graph paper to make my working sketch on in preparation for making the first actual fabric block. Somehow, in the transition from design page to working page, I changed the pattern (a lot) by adding an extra 4.5" row all the way around it. I even cut and sewed up the block from the work sheet, and sent a photo off to a couple of friends for critiquing. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what. LOL. It just didn't look right. So I went back to the original pattern and compared to my working sheet and DUH!!! How on earth did I do that??????... So to friends I had to say, please disregard that block, lol, it is all wrong. That mistake also set me back on my project 2 whole days. grrrrrrrrrrr
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I have ripped the wrong seam sew many times, it is unbelievable to me. I also put together a 9 patch quilt and realized after all was sewed that one whole row was wrong. I can laugh now but then I wasn't laughing and even the cat knew I was upset.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks View Post
    I made a quilt for my DILs mother who is a friend of mine. The day I gave it to her (it was a suprize ) her mother was here with her. She was thrilled! As she spread it out on my sofa to see the whole quilt I noticed that I had sewn one side of the binding on backwards! I was so embaressed and said I would fix it. She said I shouldn't change a thing! She loved it as it was. Now I see it every time I go to her house.
    What a good friend she is. You must appreciate that she wanted her quilt just as it was given to her. :-)

My "oops" moment was not exactly a sewing one. I had been using my "2nd" machine for a while at home and went out to sew with a group - I took my "1st" machine with me. It was not a morning of great clarity anyway and I needed to change my bobbin.....talking to someone and dropped the bobbin on the floor. Found it and said "darn - where is my bobbin case?" We all looked for it. Frustrated, I went to the dealer to purchase a new one and was told they would have to order it....loooonnnnnggggg story short - there is NO bobbin case for my 1st machine and this story has been the subject of much mirth and merriment with my friends. The only thing that makes me feel better about it all is that the clerk at the dealer did not know either!

rekug,
    I laughed myself stupid with that one. Too funny.
    Marilyn

I sewed my applique to my skirt during a class. Not just a little, but one whole design. I laugh now but I wasn't laughing at the time, although the teacher was.

Quote Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
    Years ago I made a rather fancy dress for myself. There was a slit up the front and when I walked the sides kept flopping back. So, in all of my wisdom I decided to put weights in the bottom corners of the dress. When we went to the buffet table (after my dress attached itself to the table) I realized that not only were they weights, they were also magnets. I kept pulling my dress away from anything metal all night. I still laugh at myself for that one. You can dress me up but can't take me anywhere.
    I think you win the prize, Marilyn. Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by rekrug View Post
    LOL! Loved these! I have a good one. Newly married and still in school (aka broke), my husband was working for a furniture company. He would bring left over chintz/cotton fabric home that was appropriate for me to make dresses, etc. (I was student teaching, and needed to look professional on a dime.) Low and behold, we go to a house design open house, (a rather dressy affair), and I am standing there, matching the sofa. I stayed in the kitchen. LOL
    These just keep getting funnier. lol

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    Being so happy to be finished when clipping that last thread and cutting a hole in my quilt.
    Been there; done that; feel your pain!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast