Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Out of my comfort zone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/out-my-comfort-zone-t259535.html)

Dina 01-11-2015 07:43 AM

Out of my comfort zone

1 Attachment(s)
I am making a quilt that is out of my comfort zone...not because it is too difficult, but because of all the colors in it. I have always known that I don't really like the scrappy look for myself, though I do like scrappy quilts others make.

Well, I fell for a quilt I saw here that was scrappy. I am in the middle of it now. I started off liking it well enough, I am just putting blocks on the design wall at the moment, but when I added 8 blocks to the design wall last night, now all it looks like is chaos to me. I like it when I take a picture of it, but here in real life, not so much.

What do you do when you are in the middle of a quilt and aren't sure you like it? I am sure I will keep going, but I haven't cut out the fabric for more blocks yet. I could make more blocks of the same fabric, and I think that would make me like it more. Just not sure.

Thoughts? I have 42 blocks done and need 22 more to make the quilt the size I want. I will attach a picture.

...5 minutes later...and now I think I may just put it up and worry about it later. It just isn't "speaking to me," as they say. :)

Dina

Feather3 01-11-2015 07:55 AM

If you start with the top block on the left & look at the rows on a diagional they all line up until you get to the bottom right area. You pattern is off starting with the 2nd row up from the bottom, 3rd row in from the right. Some of your blocks in the bottom right corner area are turned the wrong direction. Swap or turn them & then it should look fine.

pocoellie 01-11-2015 07:59 AM

Although I'm like you in that I love other quilters scrappy quilts, but have only made one myself, and I did like it, and I think one of the reasons that I don't make more, is the fact that I have so much yardage to cut up. LOL I love your quilt though and the design, but if YOU don't like it, I would just put the blocks together that you've already got done, and finish quilting it and give it to either a charity, of which there are plenty of, or give it as a gift to someone you know.

quiltstringz 01-11-2015 08:00 AM

I think your colors look fantastic. If you feel like you don't want to continue making blocks finish your top with what you have. Then get it quilted and I think that you will be in love with it. Once you get over that initial hurdle I think that you might grow to love this look

AngeliaNR 01-11-2015 08:06 AM

How about sashing between the blocks to pull them away from each other a bit. It might add some "order" to the quilt. It would, change that secondary square. On the lower right hand part, the next to the last column, you have three blocks all turned the same way (the paralelogram's long side is horizontal), and I think it is pretty. Maybe fool with the layout a bit and see if turning them all the same way makes it feel less chaotic to you.

Those are beautiful fabrics.

ekuw 01-11-2015 08:10 AM

I just finished a mystery BOM that didn't really like. I just kept plugging away since I had made all the components for it. I did end up ripping apart one block because it REALLY looked out of place, and added an extra border on the top & bottom. Then I put 2 more borders on it to help tie in the colors. In the end it turned out OK, and remember someone will find your quilt perfect for them-time will reveal who will be the ideal recipient. I think your pattern & colors are great.

Dina 01-11-2015 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 (Post 7043291)
If you start with the top block on the left & look at the rows on a diagional they all line up until you get to the bottom right area. You pattern is off starting with the 2nd row up from the bottom, 3rd row in from the right. Some of your blocks in the bottom right corner area are turned the wrong direction. Swap or turn them & then it should look fine.

Thanks, I see that now. I fixed that. (I have been playing with these a lot to try to make it so I like it.)

Dina

Dina 01-11-2015 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7043321)
How about sashing between the blocks to pull them away from each other a bit. It might add some "order" to the quilt. It would, change that secondary square. On the lower right hand part, the next to the last column, you have three blocks all turned the same way, and I think it is pretty. Maybe fool with the layout a bit and see if turning them all the same way makes it feel less chaotic to you.

Those are beautiful fabrics.

I will play with that idea. I think I simply have to find some place for my eyes to rest....

Dina

Annaquilts 01-11-2015 08:16 AM

It is lovely! The three columns on the right do need to be "straightened" as they are off from the pattern. Often when I am in the middle of making a larger quilt I do not like the fabric/patttern etc. any more. It is as if I get saturated and can't see the original picture any more. I would say push on and do the next 22 blocks or so or just use these blocks and make a lap quilt. It will be lovely. Just be sure to separate the pinks and purples just like you did in the picture.

DogHouseMom 01-11-2015 08:17 AM

Perhaps if you arrange the blocks differently, in a pattern of color, that might make it more to your liking.

Start with the greens in the diagonal, then migrate to the blues, then to the purples and finally the pinks. Just glancing the blocks you have, I think that is doable, even if you have to make a few more blocks of a few colors to balance it out.

Also play with the orientation of the blocks. You might like it better if they are oriented the same way.