Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oversight leads to improved FMQ on DSM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oversight-leads-improved-fmq-dsm-t221788.html)

petpainter 05-20-2013 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6074448)
I'm fairly sure Leah Day leaves those doggies up and she does the most wonderful FMQ.

She does leave them up, so I followed her recomendations with the foot and the dogs up, and I have never had a problem.
It does dent your 'Slider" a little if you are using one. If you have a single hole plate, that helps, too.

Krystyna 05-20-2013 04:44 AM

Leah Day keeps her feed dogs up ... like you, she discovered it by accident.

bigsister63 05-20-2013 05:21 AM

The purpose of FMQ is for the sewer to be "free" to do the motion instead of motion being controled by the machine. By lowering the feed dogs and using the FMQ foot the sewer is in control of the quilting. Many times the eyelashes/loops are caused by the sewer's speed of moving the fabric. By leaving the feed dogs up they put a little drag on the fabric therefore slowing down the movement of the fabric. this slower speed may be preventing the eyelashes/loops. The drag on the fabric actually prevents the fabric from moving "freely" and may make you FMQ harder. Also if you are using a slider then why leave the feed dogs up since covering them will stop them from grabbing the fabric. as for damaging the machine? not sure but it can not be the best thing for it since you are working against the feed dogs. There may be a good reason that lowering the feed dogs is recommended. IMHO

skzstitches 05-20-2013 05:35 AM

I leave the feed dogs up, use 0 stitch length, and use a super slider on the throat plate. It works well for FMQ for me.

ShirlinAZ 05-20-2013 05:47 AM

I had the exact same "accident"! Now I always leave my feed dogs up.

tessagin 05-20-2013 05:59 AM

Hey whatever works for you! If it was messing up your machine you would definitely know. Just make sure you clean your machine as often as need. I clean the lint at the end of the day. Also if I'm going from one different type of fabric to the next.

gramquilter2 05-20-2013 08:13 AM

I think that Leah Day says to keep your feed dogs up for FMQ.

matraina 05-20-2013 08:24 AM

Leah Day always quilts with the feed dogs up.

quilt2b 05-20-2013 09:44 AM

I have read that on certain machines the feed dogs are somehow connected to the tension. If that is true (and it sounds like it is), it would affect the stitches on FMQ. It really is a matter of what works for you. The important thing is to keep trying.

nativetexan 05-20-2013 09:48 AM

I've done it with them down and up. I took a class and the instructor said to leave them up. worked. but then, there are times I have difficulty moving my quilt and can't decide if it is my fabric, batting or feed dogs. they are usually down.