Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paducah Best in Show quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paducah-best-show-quilt-t44184.html)

AtHomeSewing 04-28-2010 07:02 AM

What is the apx. size of the quilt?

Marjpf 04-28-2010 07:37 AM

It is amazing, but not sure I would call it a "quilt". More a fiber art piece.

Maride 04-28-2010 07:47 AM

It is a quilt because it has 2 layers of fabric plus batting, held together by thread. I feel so guilty!! I think is a very well done piece of art, but I don't like it. I can appreciate the details in it and the huge effort and creativity, but I still don't like it. I can go on forever pointing out how well made it is, but at the end,I still don't like it.

Oh well, I guess she will laugh her way to the bank while I am here pointing out how I don't like it.

amma 04-28-2010 09:07 AM

WOW!!! She is very creative :D:D:D
I can't wait until more quilts start showing up on the net!!!

granniebj 04-28-2010 09:11 AM

Wow! Way out of my league and definitely just for show!

Borntohandquilt 04-28-2010 09:40 AM

I think this quilt is a real piece of art and I am full of respect for the maker's skills and creativeness. But I must admit it doesn't touch my heart...

Candace 04-28-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
It is a quilt because it has 2 layers of fabric plus batting, held together by thread. I feel so guilty!! I think is a very well done piece of art, but I don't like it. I can appreciate the details in it and the huge effort and creativity, but I still don't like it. I can go on forever pointing out how well made it is, but at the end,I still don't like it.

Oh well, I guess she will laugh her way to the bank while I am here pointing out how I don't like it.

Is there a monetary prize?

BellaBoo 04-28-2010 12:26 PM

Yes, $20,000 at this show. It has won many other awards at other shows too. There were some quilts that won this year that has been in shows since 2008. Paducah is the last place most are shown because the quilter has to give up the quilt to get the money.

Candace 04-28-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Yes, $20,000 at this show. It has won many other awards at other shows too. There were some quilts that won this year that has been in shows since 2008. Paducah is the last place most are shown because the quilter has to give up the quilt to get the money.

I didn't know that... thanks. You mean the top winner(s) don't ever get their quilts back? Where do they end up?

BellaBoo 04-28-2010 02:30 PM

The big winners quilts are for the AQS Museum in Paducah.
I saw this quilt up close and talked to Sue McCarty, the winner. The work was amazing and perfect. I asked her where she bought the black fabric and she said at Bayside Quilting. I saw many other quilts that were definitely prettier to me but I think the idea of no piecing or appliqué at all made this quilt so different from the others.