Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pam Bono (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pam-bono-t130510.html)

taciage 06-15-2011 03:15 AM

I like working with her patterns. Just take one step at a time and definitely do the baggies with labels, as others suggested. The designs come together well. I did table runners with two friends while on vacation...one have very little experience. All three of us were successful in completing the project and have a nice piece to remind us of our time together!

SueDor 06-15-2011 03:24 AM

Kitsie-Those are gorgeous!

barbpowers 06-15-2011 03:25 AM

I actually got started making 4 quilts from one of her books--- big ones too! It was the first quilting book I bought, and the first rotary cutter quilts I had done.... started a landslide of quilting. You can find her books now on ebay and yard sales, used book stores etc. I have a good bunch of them. The patterns may look complicated, and yes may be a little time consuming, but not hard.

BellaBoo 06-15-2011 03:53 AM

I cut the fabric for one block at a time. Much easier for me to stay organized. Or I cut all at once and put each block pieces in a ziploc, one block per ziplock. Her patterns are easy but organization is the key.

mshollysd 06-15-2011 03:56 AM

I bought all the fishing patterns for a quilt for my dad, he passed away in 2008 and still haven't made the quilt yet. Someday I will get around to it, but have so many other projects I want to make first.

bearlea 06-15-2011 04:13 AM

I have been working on her Into the Light quilt for quite some time...its not that its hard...just time consuming because of all the tiny pieces...not a beginner quilt for sure...but I to organize my pieces using sandwich bags and little post it notes tokeep track of what pieces are for what section of the block....I have several of her books...I want to do one of the kids patterns thats shaped like a castle but afraid to bite off more than I can chew right now....bleesings

raedar63 06-15-2011 04:16 AM

Your quilts are beautiful! I am a terribly unorganized person but perhaps I can turn over a new leaf ,Doubtful but I already have the stash that I can practice with so I wont really be out anything but time :)

raedar63 06-15-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I tried ONE Pam Bono pattern. To make a long story short, it is 70% done but will NEVER be completed, and to this day I would rather be a quadruple amputee than ever do another Pam Bono. Even her name makes me nauseous.

Yikes :shock: :shock:

jaciqltznok 06-15-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I've made two of them! Both king size! One was to be my very first quilt!!! :-D :-D :-D Wasn't the first one I finished as you can imagine! Then I did the Out of Darkness quilt that I'm just now getting around to quilting. I love doing them, but its not exactly a good idea for beginners although I sure did learn a lot from her book!

My little "lasagne pots" that you all must be so tired of hearing about are just the thing for all the pieces!

they might be a lot of work, but dang...it is so worth not to have just a normal quilt...you can have so many D9P, rail fence, turning 20 etc...THESE are quilts of accomplishment and your skills and commitment show proudly!

feline fanatic 06-15-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Her patterns are easy but organization is the key.

I agree. I have made one Pam Bono quilt out of the Quick Rotary Cutter Quilts book. There are several in the book I would like to do as well. As long as you pay attention and just follow her step by step instructions you will not fail. Additionally, since doing some piecing her way I have applied that technique to a ton of other blocks. I really like peicing square units on the diagonal to get great angled piece work and as a result almost never having to deal with piecing a bias edge. Once you get used to her techniques it goes quite well. Yes, many of her blocks are very involved but I feel the end result is well worth it and the skills you gain from doing some of her patterns are easily applied to other patterns. If nothing else, it will up your confidence level a ton and may get you to expand your horizons to even more complex piecing.