Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing paper question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-paper-question-t102440.html)

quiltlady37 02-23-2011 08:00 PM

I buy tracing paper at Wal Mart. It is very reasonable. I do have to cut it down to 8 1/2 x 11. I do several sheets at once so it doesn't take long to cut it. It tears off easily. I like it because you can see the printing from either side.

millivanillisask 02-23-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I know you all use a variety of paper, from tissue paper to copy paper to vellum to tracing paper. I've been looking for newsprint thinking it would be a good weight paper that might not clog up in my printer. I need to print a big bunch of papers for a large project. I'm having a really hard time finding paper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Where do those of you who use newsprint purchase it?

Second question: Copy paper is shown to usually be 20lb paper. I've seen newsprint described as 30lb paper, but I know it is much thinner than copy paper. So what do those numbers actually mean?

I use kids scrapbook paper the kraft color, they come in books of 8.5x11 just right for the printer and tears away nicely, not loosening the stitches.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 08:07 PM

Do any of you run the newsprint through your printer? I ran a piece of tracing paper through and it came out along with a piece of the regular copy paper underneath. I also cut a piece out of our newspaper and it bent up a little bit. I have the HP Photosmart 6380 all-in-one.

I have the HP photosmart premium and I run everything from onion skin paper to card stock through her with no issues.

I use the newsprint for all of my PPing and never have any issues with it!

BKrenning 02-24-2011 06:41 AM

Some printers will handle the thin paper with no problems & others have to be coerced. Also, the age & condition of the rollers that pickup the paper will have an effect. When using non-standard paper, it may be easier & less frustrating to use the manual feed or straight through paper path. Some printers just won't handle paper as flimsy as onion skin or vellum though. I started paper piecing with some very thin typing paper and loved it but had to feed it through one sheet at a time to print on it. Now I can't find typing paper so I use newsprint (tablet paper) that I found at a flea market but I've seen it at office supply stores also. Not quite as easy to remove as the typing paper was but still easier than copy paper.

When I was in a book club, the books came with some type of very thin packing paper--like gift wrap before color is added. It could be ironed out, trimmed to size and fed through the printer or traced through. It was a little heavier than vellum but thinner than the typing paper. Long story short--I think gift wrapping paper will work if you can find lighter colors or the source before the colors are put on it.

ShowMama 02-24-2011 06:48 AM

I get newsprint end rolls at my local newspaper office. They are about 24" wide and have 15-20 (or more) yards of paper left on them. They're usually less than $1 a piece, but recently I went in on a Saturday morning and the girl at the counter said, "Oh, we don't charge for these on Saturdays!" I came out of there with as many as I could carry (6). They have to be cut up to whatever size I need, but I have an old rotary cutter I use for that. It might be a little tedious work, but hey, you can't beat that the paper was free!

redkimba 02-24-2011 06:59 AM

if you have an IKEA near you, you can buy a roll of drawing paper (same quality as newspaper) for $5.00

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20152281

jaciqltznok 02-24-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMama
I get newsprint end rolls at my local newspaper office. They are about 24" wide and have 15-20 (or more) yards of paper left on them. They're usually less than $1 a piece, but recently I went in on a Saturday morning and the girl at the counter said, "Oh, we don't charge for these on Saturdays!" I came out of there with as many as I could carry (6). They have to be cut up to whatever size I need, but I have an old rotary cutter I use for that. It might be a little tedious work, but hey, you can't beat that the paper was free!

man, Our newspaper sells the ends for $15! and they wonder why nobody buys them!

cuppi duke 02-24-2011 07:29 AM

I don't worry about the cost of the paper as much as the cost of the ink. That can get really expensive, evem for just line work.

Charming 02-24-2011 07:34 AM

I buy the Carol Doaks paper from Joann's Store, and i love it so easy to use. The price is normally $9.95 for 100 sheet but i always buy it at 50% of or if it ever goes on 50% without coupon i use on top of it my 10% discount.

LAB55 02-24-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Do any of you run the newsprint through your printer? I ran a piece of tracing paper through and it came out along with a piece of the regular copy paper underneath. I also cut a piece out of our newspaper and it bent up a little bit. I have the HP Photosmart 6380 all-in-one.

I have the HP photosmart premium and I run everything from onion skin paper to card stock through her with no issues.

I use the newsprint for all of my PPing and never have any issues with it!

Is your onion skin paper textured ? I have some that is & was going to use it for pp. I also have aHP Photo smart all - in - one printer.