Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-question-t61028.html)

Tallulah 08-28-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting

Originally Posted by Judith
I just use ordinary printer paper. Ever since I started using the method where you fold over your paper piecing pattern before you sew and thus do not sew through the paper, what kind of paper I use has not been an issue. And it makes the paper piecing so much more fun!

Judith! where did you learn this method? need to know!

Me, too!

Up North 08-28-2010 02:22 PM

I love to paper piece. I'm hearing alot about using the cheapest paper or tracing paper. I know tracing paper does't go through my copier and I don't know about cheap tablet paper. Are you who use this paper hand tracing your patterns? I find the cost of PP-Paper is worth the time saved in not having to hand trace the number of pattern pieces needed to make a quilt.

The cheap scribble tablet paper goes through my printer just fine. I just need to cut it down a little to fit.

rwquilts 08-28-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Up North

I love to paper piece. I'm hearing alot about using the cheapest paper or tracing paper. I know tracing paper does't go through my copier and I don't know about cheap tablet paper. Are you who use this paper hand tracing your patterns? I find the cost of PP-Paper is worth the time saved in not having to hand trace the number of pattern pieces needed to make a quilt.

The cheap scribble tablet paper goes through my printer just fine. I just need to cut it down a little to fit.

Goes through my printer just fine also. I wouldn't want to hand draw...too time consuming!

Annya 08-28-2010 05:07 PM

I was just able to print out the patter for the DWR block and I am going to0 try it out using ordinary scribble note pad ans see 2 things--! -If I can do the pattern and 2-if the paper goes through the printer otherwise back to the printer paper I already have. Will let you know in a few days whgich I find the best for me.

Cherokeequilter 08-28-2010 07:15 PM

I have learned both methods of paper piecing and when I don't want to sew on the paper I use parchment paper as it sticks to the material but can re-used many times. The trick is when you fold the paper back to line up the next piece of material sew right along the fold line not through the paper.

rwquilts 08-29-2010 06:57 AM

Good luck Annya!

Cherokeequilter, I should try tht method at least once just to see if I like it...always good to try new things!

Elence 03-13-2013 12:04 PM

Thank you all for the input. I've been using regular printer paper in a laser printer, but was afraid that I was doing something wrong. Guess not. The lightest weight paper I can find works well for me, and seems to come off just fine.

MadQuilter 03-13-2013 12:32 PM

I just took a class and the teacher was using the Carol Doak paper which is the same as regular newsprint.

When I got home, I tried the template with tracing paper and it worked well because I can see the lines from the back side. Now the tracing paper most likely won't make it through the printer but I like drafting the pattern myself.

newbee3 03-13-2013 01:12 PM

you can get newpaper paper at stores like staples you have to cut it to size but with rotary cutter and ruler that is not a issue. It is resasonable priced.