Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-help-t304809.html)

Watson 05-20-2019 02:37 AM

Pattern Help

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know the name of this pattern?

Or, the best way to do it?

I was thinking sew over-sized rectangles together with the black strip to make a square and then use your plastic square on an angle to cut them, (some waste), but my husband says it would be better to make square of each fabric, slice it at the exact angle, add the black to one of them and then choose another opposite piece to sew on to make your square.

What do you think?

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613044[/ATTACH]

tallchick 05-20-2019 02:53 AM

Wondering if they used this ruler with a 1 inch sashing between....

https://youtu.be/l7nXyMoSvBk

Lee in Richmond 05-20-2019 04:47 AM

I made a pattern like this once. I layered [what in this case would be 8] fabrics and cut using a paper pattern. Rearrange the pieces so each stack has 1 of each of the 8 different cuts. Piece together, use maybe a really thin bias tape, or non-bias, strip overlay to create the stained glass look, sash and viola! In my case I did not use the black strips, but used decorative stitches over the seams.

Iceblossom 05-20-2019 06:37 AM

Those are basically Houndstooth or Windmill blocks with the addition of the black sashing between the blades.

When I made my houndstooth quilt I made slightly overlarge two strips of fabric and then skewed my ruler to make the angles. I used a piece of tape on my ruler for the shape I wanted. This would just add the narrow fabric in between, all straight line sewing but you do have to be a tiny bit careful with the slightly bias edges.

Later I found a specialty ruler on clearance that would do basically the same thing but slightly different proportions from my block.

I had planned to make a houndstooth way back in the early 80s, but it took awhile to collect the fabrics and be ready. Just when I was ready M'liss Rae Hawley came out with her first Fat Quarters book, and although I had never seen one in a show, at fair, or anywhere else -- there it was in the book! So I wasn't going to make it because everyone would assume I got the idea from the book. LOL, I was complaining about it to one of my friends at the quilt guild meeting and the lady in front of us was cracking up. Turns out it was M'liss who was the speaker at that meeting. Anyway, she wrote up some nice instructions.

SharonPye 05-20-2019 07:20 AM

Looks like a Stack and Whack. Use squares stacked up and cut at an angle. If you want them all the same angle, measure in the same on two opposite sides--i.e. 4" from right on the top and 3" from right on bottom. Use 1" black for separation and sew 1/4" to connect two different colors--no loss in size for block. Donna Jordon explains this much better in her Ribbons quilt tutorial on YouTube.

Jordan 05-20-2019 07:39 AM

I really like the looks of that quilt but I am so challenged when it comes to making a block with angles. Sure hope that someone on this board finds how to make this pattern with a plastic template and I would certainly purchase it. I will keep looking on this thread to see if someone has an answer.

SuziSew 05-20-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8255341)
Does anyone know the name of this pattern?

Or, the best way to do it?

I was thinking sew over-sized rectangles together with the black strip to make a square and then use your plastic square on an angle to cut them, (some waste), but my husband says it would be better to make square of each fabric, slice it at the exact angle, add the black to one of them and then choose another opposite piece to sew on to make your square.

What do you think?

Watson

I don't know the name of the pattern, but I agree with your husband. Do a stack and slash with multiple colors to keep the size/angle the same. Because you will be adding the black sashing you may want to start with a rectangle then when you add the sash they will end up as squares. The ruler tall chick mentioned might help but not a requirement.

QuiltE 05-20-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8255341)
.........I was thinking sew over-sized rectangles together with the black strip to make a square and then use your plastic square on an angle to cut them, (some waste), but my husband says it would be better to make square of each fabric, slice it at the exact angle, add the black to one of them and then choose another opposite piece to sew on to make your square.............

Watson ... both ways would work.
Though I think your mind and mine must be the same as I think yours would be the easier for stitching and precise results. Trimming after the black strips are added, using a template would create total precision!

Yes there would be wastage, but I can accept that when it is giving me precision.

To make the trimming job even easier, I'd get the local glass shop to make me a plexi template.

JanieW 05-20-2019 10:38 AM

https://youtu.be/QTUv-XTvHas

I made this quilt a long time ago. I took a class . We didn’t use the adhesive bias tape; we made our own. The adhesive tape would be easier, I think. It’s not exactly like the one in your picture, Watson but you could cut the angles any way you like.

Krisb 05-20-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8255488)
I really like the looks of that quilt but I am so challenged when it comes to making a block with angles. Sure hope that someone on this board finds how to make this pattern with a plastic template and I would certainly purchase it. I will keep looking on this thread to see if someone has an answer.

This has how to make the template for the blocks. It is a small template; perhaps your local hardware could cut you one from plexiglass.

http://www.craftbuds.com/whirligig-q...lock-tutorial/