Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern Idea, what do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-idea-what-do-you-think-t64162.html)

JCquilts 09-11-2010 05:59 AM

Please give me your input on this..

I have a few ideas for patterns to creat soft books for children. One with activities like tieing shoes, zippers and such.
Several about counting to ten,

one with sheep. It would start with the word Awake, then go through the numbers and end with Asleep

One with rain drops. It would start with the word Empty and a glass, go through the numbers and end with Full. I would include ten little rain drops and a glass made from clear vinyl on the last page as an activity.. They could remove the ten little rain drops, then put them back in.

and a few more.
I plan to make these with fusible applique.

My question to you all is whether you think it would be worth my time to pattern these ideas or just make them for my own use.

craftybear 09-11-2010 06:01 AM

wow, sounds like a very cool idea, go for it!

sahm4605 09-11-2010 06:03 AM

I would make them for your own use and see how they come out and test with a couple of kids to see how they go over. while you are doing this look into seeing if they are patented. (that is what you mean right?)

patricej 09-11-2010 06:11 AM

JC, if you can come up with ideas and instructions that others will find easy to follow, i'm sure it would be a hit. :-)

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I would make them for your own use and see how they come out and test with a couple of kids to see how they go over. while you are doing this look into seeing if they are patented. (that is what you mean right?)

Sahm, i think the term you're looking for is copyright.

as long as she uses designs that are 100% hers and not adapted from patterns she's seen elsewhere, she shouldn't have to worry about that.

JCquilts 09-11-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605

Yes, thank you for your input. I am confident that I wont have any problem with copyright as the designs in them will be my own drawings. Technique, as I understand, cant be copyrighted, but will include my instructions with copyright application. And the idea of soft books have been around for generations.. I had them when I was a child and the fabric manufacturers print panels for them.

I am more interested in whether you think they are marketable. Would anyone buy the pattern?

stefanib123 09-11-2010 06:24 AM

I would be interested in it for my baby niece.

I think a lot of people would like it and buy it.

NancyG 09-11-2010 07:49 AM

Yes, I think you could definitely sell the pattern. I,for one, have grandkids that I think would love them and I could have fun making them. Go for it!

amma 09-11-2010 09:17 AM

What a great idea! These books are harder to find now, and would be a big hit :D:D:D

Mariposa 09-11-2010 09:49 AM

Sounds like some great ideas! Those types of books/activities are hard to find!

Aunt Retta 09-11-2010 09:57 AM

I would love it if you would make patterns! I am making a bunch of softbooks for my Grandsons. So far they are made from printed panels, but I have thought about making some from scratch!