Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Idea, what do you think?

Banned
    Please give me your input on this..

I have a few ideas for patterns to creat soft books for children. One with activities like tieing shoes, zippers and such.
    Several about counting to ten,

one with sheep. It would start with the word Awake, then go through the numbers and end with Asleep

One with rain drops. It would start with the word Empty and a glass, go through the numbers and end with Full. I would include ten little rain drops and a glass made from clear vinyl on the last page as an activity.. They could remove the ten little rain drops, then put them back in.

and a few more.
    I plan to make these with fusible applique.

My question to you all is whether you think it would be worth my time to pattern these ideas or just make them for my own use.

Blog Entries
    wow, sounds like a very cool idea, go for it!

I would make them for your own use and see how they come out and test with a couple of kids to see how they go over. while you are doing this look into seeing if they are patented. (that is what you mean right?)

Blog Entries
    JC, if you can come up with ideas and instructions that others will find easy to follow, i'm sure it would be a hit. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I would make them for your own use and see how they come out and test with a couple of kids to see how they go over. while you are doing this look into seeing if they are patented. (that is what you mean right?)
    Sahm, i think the term you're looking for is copyright.

as long as she uses designs that are 100% hers and not adapted from patterns she's seen elsewhere, she shouldn't have to worry about that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    Yes, thank you for your input. I am confident that I wont have any problem with copyright as the designs in them will be my own drawings. Technique, as I understand, cant be copyrighted, but will include my instructions with copyright application. And the idea of soft books have been around for generations.. I had them when I was a child and the fabric manufacturers print panels for them.

I am more interested in whether you think they are marketable. Would anyone buy the pattern?

I would be interested in it for my baby niece.

I think a lot of people would like it and buy it.

Yes, I think you could definitely sell the pattern. I,for one, have grandkids that I think would love them and I could have fun making them. Go for it!

Blog Entries
    What a great idea! These books are harder to find now, and would be a big hit :D:D:D

Sounds like some great ideas! Those types of books/activities are hard to find!

I would love it if you would make patterns! I am making a bunch of softbooks for my Grandsons. So far they are made from printed panels, but I have thought about making some from scratch!

My good friend recently made a quilted book like you describe for her Grandson which went over very well.

Maybe1day

Back in the mid-60s/early 70s, my MIL used to make those types of books all the time... and not just for her grandkids, but for her students when she worked with mentally challenged kids. These books actually helped the kids a lot (upper grade school kids who were actually functioning at a 26-year old levels). The kids idolized my MIL and she felt the same way about them. Unfortunately the school closed, so my MIL went on to work with special ed kids in public elementary schools.

If there aren't any patterns for these types of books available "out there" I strongly encourage you to go ahead and make your patterns. I believe they'd be well worth the time and greatly appreciated.

I say go for it! You won't know for sure unless you try it! Good Luck!

RST
    Blog Entries
    I've seen several tutorials online with step by step instructions for making fabric busy books, so I think that some of your market would be diverted by the freebie tutorials. That said, there are plenty of quilters who are not that net savvy and who would like buying a paper pattern, so as long as you enjoy doing it, why not?

RST

I would buy the pattern. I think they're a great idea!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bought a pattern a few years back that has a lot of the activities in them (ties, zipper, button....)

Sounds cute but there are several patterns out for these very books. I have made several of them and just love them as do the children I have given them to. Why not make a few samples of yours and see how they go? New ideas are always welcome on the market.

Blog Entries
    I have great grandsons who lovethee books I have made but they are panels and I am stuck with what is mass produce. I would really enjoy making my own. So I agree you should go for it.

I think its a great idea!

I love it. But, how about going from "awake" to "z z z z's".

Banned
    Thank you all for you input. I have looked online for freebies and found just a few. They have pictures and very scant instructions. Some made with felt, some with rings as binding, etc. I plan to do some testing of various products to find the best way to put the books together that will stand the test of time and little hands.. also testing washing of the products.

Once I have done that, I will start with the page designs.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Again, I appreciate your input and candor.

JC

Blog Entries
    My mom make a fabric book for my youngest son, 30 years ago. It's become a real treasure....there are flowers to button onto the page, zippers, ties, braids, numbers, letters, etc.

I definately think you should go for it!!

Go for it, may even be able to offer it as a kit with some pre-cuts Good Luck!!

I have grandsons 2 and 5, so that sounds great to me!!

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great idea, very stimulating for the mind, my grandkids would love it. I would buy your pattern in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast