Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 107

Thread: What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    434
    In my ongoing effort to clear out all my stash fast, I am considering offering flat rate boxes full of fabric. I really want to avoid photographing but thought I could fill each box with one color or all floral, all fun fabrics, theme, etc. and charge one price for each box. It would be a kinda surprise box. Not sure how to charge for this though. The fabric would be 100% cotton LQS quality only. Any thoughts, ideas here?

  2. #2
    Super Member purplemem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Misssissippi
    Posts
    3,303
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like this idea...the little flat rate envies are $5, would hold 4 yards I bet. $25 each?

    Just trying to help...don't know if this is what you are looking for but I know the bigger prices are a deterrent in this economy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    In my ongoing effort to clear out all my stash fast, I am considering offering flat rate boxes full of fabric. I really want to avoid photographing but thought I could fill each box with one color or all floral, all fun fabrics, theme, etc. and charge one price for each box. It would be a kinda surprise box. Not sure how to charge for this though. The fabric would be 100% cotton LQS quality only. Any thoughts, ideas here?
    I think its a good idea but I still think you probably want to take a picture of what will be in one or two of the boxes. Like say this is what is in the green box. Take some pics of what is in it and how much fabric. Then say here are the options that I have and all boxes will be packed similar. I think it would be fun. I recently traded 2 different board members. They knew what I had for trade but I didn't know what they had. All I requested that it be was black and white. I didn't see the fabric before hand but I was happy with the results. Good Luck

  4. #4
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    i wouldn't buy fabric without seeing a pic

  5. #5
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    I think it's a good idea, but I'd also like a photo in general of what will be included in the box.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    In my ongoing effort to clear out all my stash fast, I am considering offering flat rate boxes full of fabric. I really want to avoid photographing but thought I could fill each box with one color or all floral, all fun fabrics, theme, etc. and charge one price for each box. It would be a kinda surprise box. Not sure how to charge for this though. The fabric would be 100% cotton LQS quality only. Any thoughts, ideas here?
    I think its a good idea but I still think you probably want to take a picture of what will be in one or two of the boxes. Like say this is what is in the green box. Take some pics of what is in it and how much fabric. Then say here are the options that I have and all boxes will be packed similar. I think it would be fun. I recently traded 2 different board members. They knew what I had for trade but I didn't know what they had. All I requested that it be was black and white. I didn't see the fabric before hand but I was happy with the results. Good Luck
    Do you think it would be okay to just take one pic of a bunch of the fabric to show a representative idea on the type of fabric? Taking pics is so time consuming and the idea is to sell it fast and easy. And I really don't want to measure the yardage in each box (again, keeping it easy) so I'm hoping for some good idea on how much fits into each flat rate box when packed full. I think this way I'd be able to offer a really good value for those buying. I would probably lose big time on the fabric but gain in not having to invest much more time in the selling of it. If I have to measure and photograph everything I may as well just list it separately and charge more.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,703
    For starters, you could fill a couple of boxes with fabric, and then take it out and measure it so you have an idea of how much fabric they hold.

    Then you can decide on an "average" cost per yard that you want to charge, and go from there.

  8. #8
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
    I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.

  10. #10
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    In my ongoing effort to clear out all my stash fast, I am considering offering flat rate boxes full of fabric. I really want to avoid photographing but thought I could fill each box with one color or all floral, all fun fabrics, theme, etc. and charge one price for each box. It would be a kinda surprise box. Not sure how to charge for this though. The fabric would be 100% cotton LQS quality only. Any thoughts, ideas here?
    I think its a good idea but I still think you probably want to take a picture of what will be in one or two of the boxes. Like say this is what is in the green box. Take some pics of what is in it and how much fabric. Then say here are the options that I have and all boxes will be packed similar. I think it would be fun. I recently traded 2 different board members. They knew what I had for trade but I didn't know what they had. All I requested that it be was black and white. I didn't see the fabric before hand but I was happy with the results. Good Luck
    Do you think it would be okay to just take one pic of a bunch of the fabric to show a representative idea on the type of fabric? Taking pics is so time consuming and the idea is to sell it fast and easy. And I really don't want to measure the yardage in each box (again, keeping it easy) so I'm hoping for some good idea on how much fits into each flat rate box when packed full. I think this way I'd be able to offer a really good value for those buying. I would probably lose big time on the fabric but gain in not having to invest much more time in the selling of it. If I have to measure and photograph everything I may as well just list it separately and charge more.
    Sorry I guess I wasn't clear :) I suggest you take pictures and measure all the fabric that will be in one box! Only the one demo box. I wouldn't measure or take pictures of anything else. Just say they will all be similar to the example box but with different colors and such. Then it wouldn't be too time consuming. The rest you could just fill up and ship :)

  11. #11
    Junior Member msariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    265
    I think it's a good idea. However, I never buy anything on the internet that I can't see what I'm buying. Learned that the hard way many years ago.

  12. #12
    Living the Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    68
    I'd be interested in a box of fun fabrics at sale prices. I love whimsy!

    PM me when you're ready to start clearing out and come up with a price and an approximation of yardage.

  13. #13
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
    I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.
    Here is what I do on eBay

    I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

    There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!

  14. #14
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
    I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.
    Here is what I do on eBay

    I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

    There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!
    Very good idea!!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Yulee Florida
    Posts
    1,075
    wht a neat idea to sell off you stash in surprise packages. but with the way the real world is, you realy do need to post pics, as most people who dont know you wont trust you. I hate to be blunt but honest.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    wht a neat idea to sell off you stash in surprise packages. but with the way the real world is, you realy do need to post pics, as most people who dont know you wont trust you. I hate to be blunt but honest.
    Totally understand that and I realize it will not be everyones "cup of tea" but for those willing to take a chance, they will get some truly quality fabric for a great deal. And I will have a clear space!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
    I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.
    Here is what I do on eBay

    I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

    There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!
    Okay, I tried filling a large flat rate box and it is 10 pounds. So, according to your figures that would be maybe 40 yards? What would be considered a good price to you for this? 100% cotton, LQS quality.

  18. #18
    Super Member brookemarie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,750
    I'm not sure what would be a good price or not, but I think if you filled the medium rate boxes you would have a better chance of selling the boxes "site unseen" kind of thing. I think the larger boxes people would consider too much of a risk.

    Also, debbieumphress sold some scrap boxes with fabric on here not too long ago... maybe look that up and see what her prices were (can't remember) to use as a possible guideline? Hop ethis helps you a little.

  19. #19
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interested in stash box. PM when ready to do so. Xmas is my first choice.

  20. #20
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
    I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.
    Here is what I do on eBay

    I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

    There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!
    Okay, I tried filling a large flat rate box and it is 10 pounds. So, according to your figures that would be maybe 40 yards? What would be considered a good price to you for this? 100% cotton, LQS quality.
    That will be high. For $2 a yard, the fabric would be $80 and the shipping another $14.95. And I don't know if that is enough money for you per yard. $3 per yard would be $120 plus shipping.

    Why don't you try 20-25 yards in the medium box which would take it down to around $40-$50 plus $10.95 shipping? (If you want $3 per yard, it will be higher) You would get more takers.

  21. #21
    Super Member leiladylei54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,986
    Even using a flat rate box, I would still like to see what and how much I'm getting. Sorry, but I'm always the skeptic and like to see what I'm getting.

  22. #22
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by leiladylei54
    Even using a flat rate box, I would still like to see what and how much I'm getting. Sorry, but I'm always the skeptic and like to see what I'm getting.
    See earlier post about one picture with the fabrics turned on their side in the box. You would get a really good idea of the amount per fabric from the total.

  23. #23
    Super Member Rebecca VLQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,490
    Yup. Simple...do this:

    Grab about a "boxful" and call it Box #1.
    Take a pic of the pile.
    Use a kitchen scale or bathroom scale and give the weight.
    Give the price.
    SOLD!

    When you're clearing like that, you don't need a pic of each and every single fabric you're offering. But if someone can peek at the pile, you'll be alright. And folks that need to be more choosy? Well, maybe this isn't the sale for them.

  24. #24
    Super Member raedar63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,045
    I for one buy lots of "grab bag"type auctions on ebay, But then again I make scrappy quilts. From experience trying to sell fabric, unless it is some high demand designer type you will not get your money back.
    I would try it the easy way first ,you can always go back and do it the hard way if they do not sell. Then again , thats how I roll as they say lol!

    Ps,
    I am in the market for brights/novelties!

  25. #25
    Senior Member kclausing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grafton, WI
    Posts
    497
    Keep in mind that if a member can purchase fabric for $5/yd at their LQS (my LQS starts at $4 per yard), they won't pay that for sight unseen fabric. Pictures are definately needed unless you are going to offer a super deal on it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.