Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of this idea for selling fabric? >

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
Originally Posted by dyer804
I'm interested but can't afford $60 for a medium size box right now. What could I get for $20 - $25? Willing to take any sizes, maybe just pick the color, sight unseen!
I would love to do that but don't know what to put them in. I wish they had a larger small flat rate box. I like the flat rate because there is so much time involved in emailing back and forth to check on postage to different areas. I would be willing to put less in a med. flat rate box for less money but the shipping would be the same. Shame to waste that space.
There is a flat rate cardboard envelope that holds more than the box. Just needs more tape. you can get some at the PO.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryquartapella
where are you listing the fabric
In the classified on this forum. Some boxes are on there. Also have some bolts of fabric in a different listing on this forum. Will be listing more tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
in response to: maryquartapella

I love Mary Jo's! I live 2 hours south of it - it is a good thing I don't live closer ;)
You live in one of my favorite areas. Love Lake Hartwell. Hope to move either there or Greenville.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Where do I find the classified on this forum?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm probably one of the few, that purchase sight unseen and have been disappointed, and very pleasantly surprised. I'm an avid eBay buyer, and was quite happy with a 75 fat Quarter Box I got, with NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what the prints would be other than it would span the rainbow. The fabric quality was superb, the prints lovely and I was a happy camper.

Another instance, Quite mad when I bought low priced pre cut squares from one buyer, sadly everything was soaked with cigarette smell, badly cut and not all cotton, some pretty horrid hard crunchy stiff fabrics. Her feedback reflected my disappointment.

Yet another time I got a bunch of yard sale items that the seller had simply laid in a pile to show the prints, but I had no idea what the lengths would be, but knew they totaled about 16 yards. Being a scrapaholic quilter, I was still happy with the package, even though there were strips, squares and full yardages, some prewashed, other items in haphazard cuts.

My last eBay buy, I ordered 3 sets of 25 different Dragonfly prints totalling 75 squares, 3 of each print) and 1 of another color range precut 4" squares. The seller missed that I had two orders, and only sent 2 sets, the quality was awesome, though did not match the representative picture, when I emailed her saying they didn't match the photo, the seller told me to keep what she sent, and refunded my $.

My main point is, if you give an ACCURATE Description, such as UNCUT (meaning Selvage to Selvage) fabric, in varying widths of yardage, some under some over a yard, I think that you will still get buyers like me, if you give an idea of the prints, like all calicoes, plaids, childrens, etc.
That is generally what I look for when buying sight unseen, I don't want a bunch of Holiday themed prints, and would want to know that ahead of time, and general color groupings can be helpful, say a box of greens, or blues.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Neat idea, but would like to see fab. b/4 purchasing
Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by pc1camp
I can't imagine having a LQS that has fabric for $.00 yard. I checked with mine last week before going to PA(haven't been there in awhile) and they had gone up to $11.95. They can keep it for that. That is here in Houston, too. Most of the other ones are $9.25 to $10.25. That is why it is so much fun to go to Amish country.

Peggy
You are all so lucky to be able to buy fabric so low. Here in Australia it starts at $12Aus and just goes up. What I need is scraps of fabric with music notes on it. no smaller that 11/2 inches by about 6inches. I want to use it for the background of a quilt for DH He keeps complaining about being cold and is into doing Karoake. I thought doing a black silhouette of a singer on the music back ground. I will ask my other friends and see what they might have some where. The way I am going it will be a long wait before he get his quilt.