Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The pattern marks that won't go away (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-marks-wont-go-away-t295273.html)

SewingSenior 03-06-2018 11:35 AM

I finally broke down and looked up the company that makes the Sewline pencils. As fate would have it they are in Australia, so I had to just send them an e-mail. I'll let you know if and when I get a reply.

meanmom 03-06-2018 02:27 PM

I don't have any suggestions. But I did a marking demo a couple of years ago and tried all kinds of making pens etc. I ironed over half of them and not the other half. Then I threw the whole bunch in the washing machine. Anything that was blue seemed to be the hardest to remove. I will never use blue marking methods again.

Grannies G 03-06-2018 04:55 PM

I did a real boo boo in marking my Avatar quilt and got blue dry erase marker on it. Solution turned out to be Murphy’s Oil soap. No residue and now I can’t even tell you where it was. Had tried liquid dishwasher soap among other things and none had worked. Good luck

Grannies G 03-06-2018 04:56 PM

Ps piece went on to win several ribbons and awards

ube quilting 03-06-2018 05:34 PM

I can't help with what you are going through but for future quilts, may I suggest trying

Crayola Ultra Washable Markers. They come with different size tips. I have been using them quite regularly with great success. Every color in the box washed out of the tests I made.

Sad to be disappointed after all the work that goes into making a project.

peace

themadpatter 03-06-2018 06:52 PM

I don't have experience with this marker but I swear by Shout ***wipes***. They get out most things. They were a Godsend when I wore white shirts everyday in a restaurant surrounded by drawn butter and cocktail sauce.

marjben 03-06-2018 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 8017012)
I can't help with what you are going through but for future quilts, may I suggest trying

Crayola Ultra Washable Markers. They come with different size tips. I have been using them quite regularly with great success. Every color in the box washed out of the tests I made.

Sad to be disappointed after all the work that goes into making a project.

peace

I agree on these markers. I too tested them. In addition I ironed a second test of them and they still washed out.

Granchris 03-07-2018 12:02 AM

The one time I did this the only way I got it out was Dawn in the tub over night. I think it has to sink in past the thread. Might as well try some Oxi Clean. It gets rid of everything, glue, labels on jars you name it. Just be careful. Too much and you can hurt the colors.

d.rickman 03-07-2018 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590371[/ATTACH] I used a white eraser, then dampened the cotton fabric, then scrubbed with a dab of DAWN dishwashing soap, added some rubbing alcohol and the pencil mark was gone, see my cotton sample.

SewingSenior 03-07-2018 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 8017163)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590371[/ATTACH] I used a white eraser, then dampened the cotton fabric, then scrubbed with a dab of DAWN dishwashing soap, added some rubbing alcohol and the pencil mark was gone, see my cotton sample.

d. all of the Sewline marks that had not been stitched over came out just fine with plain water and a little dabbing. It's just the marks that I stitched over that will not come out. I may have to do as feline fanatic suggested and take the quilting out of the white areas and requilt...or just give up and live with it.