Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The pattern marks that won't go away

The pattern marks that won't go away

I'm at a loss as to how to get rid of the pencil marks on this quilt. I used a Sewline Fabric Pencil that says it makes "Clean, clear lines, easily erased" or "remove by dabbing with a damp cloth or washing". I have tried them all and the lines are still visible. Any suggestions for removing the pencil marks?

Name:  IMG_1138.JPG
Views: 1381
Size:  785.7 KB
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, but will be following to see what others say. Did you iron over the marks? Could that be why they won't come out?
    Peace

I use this for removing stubborn things.....dab, let sit for a bit and wash.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxiClean-...3=2541&veh=sem
    Lisa

Power Poster
    I don't know why they sell the coloured chalk and say you can remove it! Mark up a scrap of fabric and try different things on it.

I don't know what you have tried and I have never used that type of marking pencil.. but I have luck with the blue dawn dish washing soap. Sometimes I use it straight and sometimes I mix water with it. Then let it soak on the quilt awhile before washing.

I've heard that applying Shout and then rubbing with a clean towel or cloth can sometimes get rid of the lines. It seems no matter what we use to mark, we take a risk of them not coming out. I've also heard of people using a white vinegar and water mixture to get stubborn lines out. I hope you find something....the quilt looks beautiful.

Yikes. I bought that green pencil last year, so I'll be interested in following this thread. So far I've only used it to mark diagonal lines on the back of pieces, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    I use this for removing stubborn things.....dab, let sit for a bit and wash.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxiClean-...3=2541&veh=sem
    I some OxiClean, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I don't know what you have tried and I have never used that type of marking pencil.. but I have luck with the blue dawn dish washing soap. Sometimes I use it straight and sometimes I mix water with it. Then let it soak on the quilt awhile before washing.
    I bought some blue dawn especially for this quilt, but it didn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    I've heard that applying Shout and then rubbing with a clean towel or cloth can sometimes get rid of the lines. It seems no matter what we use to mark, we take a risk of them not coming out. I've also heard of people using a white vinegar and water mixture to get stubborn lines out. I hope you find something....the quilt looks beautiful.
    I tried white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mixed which has taken blood, grass and many other stains out, but it didn't even phase the blue lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    Yikes. I bought that green pencil last year, so I'll be interested in following this thread. So far I've only used it to mark diagonal lines on the back of pieces, etc.
    At this point I'm thinking marking the back of the fabric is all these pencils are good for.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, but will be following to see what others say. Did you iron over the marks? Could that be why they won't come out?
    No, I didn't iron over the markings, which if I had I would just be saying "shame on me". Others I have talked to have said they used this pencil and didn't have any problems at all. I guess I'm just lucky, Not. It really is a nice looking quilt I hope I can find a solution so I can enjoy it.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Have you tried to contact with the company that makes it and see if they could help? The quilt is very pretty...

Have you tried an art eraser or the old pink school erasers????

Wishing you the best in getting those lines out!
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Not sure this will help, but when I worked I was forever getting ink marks on my clothes I used hairspray and it came out.

Oh goodness.....this is discouraging. I'd be calling the company.. Not sure if you wash your quilts when completed but this may take them out. With tough stains, I dab dish soap, let soak thru a few minutes, then wash. Works well for me...good luck....
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Are you wet blotting or soaking the fabric where the marks are? Sometimes intense wetting/soaking is necessary for these blue ink disappearing markers.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Janis of Tennessee View Post
    Not sure this will help, but when I worked I was forever getting ink marks on my clothes I used hairspray and it came out.
    Janis I remember doing that a Lot. We used aerosol hair spray.....that tells my age. I don't know if the pump kind would work the same.
    This could be quite an experiment using all the different marking tools and what actually worked on each.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    I've had the same problem with the Sew Line pencil where I've sewn over it. I can erase it just fine on the fabric by itself, but once I sew over it, I can't erase it, and from your picture it looks like that's exactly what's happening. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.

If you try the old white eraser and the old gum eraser and they don't work try either an Oxi-Clean or try Blue Line Eraser or my stand by is a tub full of warm water with Dawn dish soap. Soak overnight. This always works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I've had the same problem with the Sew Line pencil where I've sewn over it. I can erase it just fine on the fabric by itself, but once I sew over it, I can't erase it, and from your picture it looks like that's exactly what's happening. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.
    You hit the nail on the head Peckish, when I would wander off the blue line with the stitches the marks came out but when I sewed over the line then it stuck. I have washed the quilt 2 times letting it air dry each time. I haven't let it soak overnight, so I think I'll try that with the OxiClean. But first I will call the company and see what they have to say. I must say it is a real bummer but a good lesson to learn. Never use a new product on a whole finished quilt without having tested it on some scrap fabric. One lesson I don't think I'll forget anytime soon.

I don't have an experience with this marking product specifically but with other stubborn standard #2 pencil lines, I've taken liquid dish soap, thoroughly wet the area and then 'scrubbed' with an old toothbrush. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Wishing you luck.

I hope you'll post any info from the company. Last night I went looking and found one of these markers in my marker drawer. I threw it away.

Two items mentioned (Oxi-clean and Dawn dish soap) have to be the best items to remove markings on quilts or stains on fabric. What would we do without them??

Try SewClean, it can be found at some Quilt Shops, I asked my local quilt shop if they could get and they ordered it for me, great stuff. You can tell your Quilt Shop that Checkers carry it. Checkers is a quilt store ordering house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast