Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The pattern marks that won't go away >

The pattern marks that won't go away

The pattern marks that won't go away

Old 03-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Hmmm, hard to tell for sure by the picture but it looks to me like you may have had transfer of the marking tool to your thread and the coloring is embedded in the fibers of your thread. To tell for sure is to take out some of the quilting and see if the mark is still on the fabric or there is actually color residue from the pencil in your thread. I had that happen to me once and nothing got it out until I ripped out all the quilting. Then the marks were gone because they were in the thread, not the fabric and I requilted.
I think feline fanatic has hit on the problem. Of all the suggestions made for the various products, have any been used on the threads and worked?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I was the one who asked to see the quilt. It is just beautiful! I sure hope you get the marks out to your satisfaction.
Sorry Barb, I went back to find your name but in my haste I must have missed it, so I'm glad you posted back. Thank you for the nice comment. I'm sure I will either find a solution or a resolution either way I'm going to love this quilt just as much as the others. They are like my kids, once you have them you can't do anything put love them no matter what.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by indymta View Post
I think feline fanatic has hit on the problem. Of all the suggestions made for the various products, have any been used on the threads and worked?
Not yet indy, but I did talk to a lady in JAFs today and she said she had the same problem with one of her quilts and she used one of those instant stain remover pens, Tide to Go and then rubbed with a white pencil eraser and she had quite a bit of success with that. I was sure I had one in my laundry closet which only took me 10 minutes to find, lol. After things slow down around here this evening I'm going to give that a try. I'll let you know if it does any better than all the other methods.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Janis of Tennessee View Post
Not sure this will help, but when I worked I was forever getting ink marks on my clothes I used hairspray and it came out.
I've done the same in the past. It took all the ink right out.

Hand sanitizer will take permanent Sharpie marks off your hands. I don't know if it would work on fabric.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM

May I have a drum roll please!!! I don't think I have the blues anymore Last night I applied a line of Tide to Go and then rubbed and rubbed and rubbed with a white eraser, with marginal success, but I could still see the lines, so I went to bed. This morning I applied more Tide to Go then liberally sprayed each line with Shout. I let that sit for about 15 or 20 minutes and popped it back in the washing machine. It is now outside on the line and as you can see 99% of the blue is gone. I can live with the little bits here and there that stayed.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone. I'm sure this is a lesson I won't soon forget.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590430[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1229.jpg  
Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Hooray! Thanks for sharing what worked. I need to write it down in teeny tiny print and tape it to my green pencil that's like the one you used. You just know one day this is going to happen to me.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Hooray! Thanks for sharing what worked. I need to write it down in teeny tiny print and tape it to my green pencil that's like the one you used. You just know one day this is going to happen to me.
I hope not because it has not been fun. I really loved the way the Sewline marked a nice clear thin line, but oh my what a chore to get it out from under the stitching. If I ever use mine again I will mark my grid or pattern 1/4" bigger than I want and use my quilting foot to guide me, but I'm not going to try that on a completely sandwiched quilt
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM

I'm so glad you were able to get the blue marks out. Thanks for letting us know what worked.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by indymta View Post
I'm so glad you were able to get the blue marks out. Thanks for letting us know what worked.
Indymta, I not real sure the TtoG and Shout was the key or if the poor blue marks just finally gave up and said "this ain't worth it, , LOL.