Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-quilt-shop-store-would-t46130.html)

JanetM 05-17-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Woodster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I hate to say this but the LQS I went to when I was first getting into quilting treated me like crap. From that moment I made it a point that I would never deal with a LQS for all the tea in China.

They were too stuck up for me.

Billy

We have one of those in town that's Snooty, also - I don't go to that one anymore - and it's where I had my first quilting lesson (those were fine, though because the instructor was down to earth).

There's another one here that just recently went out of business and with their attitudes, very understandably why. I don't like when you go in one shop and the owner starts putting down other shops/owners in the same area.

At first they were really helpful because they thought I was buying for my wife and not for myself. When they found out that I was doing the quilting they wanted to sell me a machine and I told them I already had a real nice machine. They asked me what kind was it and I told them a 1911 Singer 27 in a treadle, and the lady rolled he eyes and said "Good luck with that" in a smart tone.

I had probably $250 worth of material and notions picked out and just turned around and left.

Billy

There is no excuse for their behavior...shame on them. And good for you for walking out, but I'm sorry your time was wasted picking everything out. Why do they assume all quilters are female, and futhermore why must everyone use a computerized machine...they would be lucky to have a 1911 treadle.
I hope you have found a LQS that welcomes you.

msariano 05-17-2010 09:41 AM

I'd like my LQS to stay open late at least one day a week. Most close around 5 or 6pm so it's hard to get there after work. Can't shop on weekends.

JoanneS 05-17-2010 09:45 AM

It would be across the street from my house.
It would always have exactly what I want ...
...and there would always be a sale.
There would never have lines.
It would have classes frequently with wonderful teachers.
It would open at 1am if I needed one more spool of thread to finish my project.

This will do for a start. I imagine I'll think of a few more.

QuiltingGrannie 05-17-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
I agree, I would like friendly employees,knowledgeable employees,patterns, classes, tools and lots of sales. I hate paying full price.

If the regular prices were low enough there would be no need for a 'sale'. Lower prices all the time would be nice.

BOYD56 05-17-2010 11:51 AM

if you are ever in Phx AZ you must visit QUILTZ they are awesome with suggestions, have gorgeous fabrics & are only 5 miles from my house :)

azdesertrat 05-17-2010 11:56 AM

mine

BOYD56 05-17-2010 11:57 AM

mine? as in your own quilt store? lol that's a great idea

PJL 05-17-2010 11:58 AM

My ideal quilt shop would have more than one table of fabric brights. So many shops cater to florals and while I like florals, I like brights more and can rarely find enough choices.

The sales people would be friendly and not just to those who spend alot. I have 2 quilting friends I shop with regularly and they can and do spend alot more money than I can, and the saleslady always welcomes them so happily, and to me she says, oh, hello. Could be paranoia but it's very uncomfortable for me.

I agree with QBeth on those Creative Grid rulers too! Hard to find but much easier for me to "read" than other rulers.

azdesertrat 05-17-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BOYD56
mine? as in your own quilt store? lol that's a great idea

yep my very own store

Favorite Fabrics 05-17-2010 12:33 PM

Oh, be careful what you wish for...