Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-machines-t226826.html)

aborning 07-29-2013 03:23 PM

I will admit that I have been a Bernina lover for a long time. But recently, I heard about the Pfaff with thebuilt in walking foot and tested the Pfaff machines. Just this month I purchased a Pfaff Ambition Essential. Justt the basic model. There are two more Ambition Essential machines with more bells and whistles but I was mostly concerned with the built in walking foot to use if for straight stitch piecing because I was sick of having to use pins to keep my fabric layers together. I have not used it alot yet but so far I love it. It works wonderful. This Pfaff model is on sale this month for $599 (the MSR price is $899). I feel it is a very good machine for $599 and would highly recommend it if you are looking for something without a lot of bells and whistles. And I love the needle threader on it.--It works better than the needle threader on my Bernina machines.

JustAbitCrazy 07-29-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 6203760)
1471, 1475, 2140 and 2144 both updated to 2170. Will not be buying newer Pfaff. I like vertical bobbins.

I have an older Pfaff---I believe it is a 2040. I like vertical bobbins, too. Love my Pfaff, and especially love the two feeddogs (IDT)----built-in upper feeddogs as well as lower feeddogs. It helps so much to keep the top fabric moving at the same rate as the bottom fabric, so your points line up much better than with a machine which only has lower feeddogs.

sewplease 07-29-2013 03:40 PM

I'm also a Bernina girl who thinks this looks like a great machine for the money. What accessories came with it? Also, how wide is the throat or harp? I've looked at it but can't remember. Thanks.

Originally Posted by aborning (Post 6203872)
I will admit that I have been a Bernina lover for a long time. But recently, I heard about the Pfaff with thebuilt in walking foot and tested the Pfaff machines. Just this month I purchased a Pfaff Ambition Essential. Justt the basic model. There are two more Ambition Essential machines with more bells and whistles but I was mostly concerned with the built in walking foot to use if for straight stitch piecing because I was sick of having to use pins to keep my fabric layers together. I have not used it alot yet but so far I love it. It works wonderful. This Pfaff model is on sale this month for $599 (the MSR price is $899). I feel it is a very good machine for $599 and would highly recommend it if you are looking for something without a lot of bells and whistles. And I love the needle threader on it.--It works better than the needle threader on my Bernina machines.

yetta 07-29-2013 03:56 PM

I have a pfaff hobby and ambition essential, and love both, they are great machines

leaha 07-29-2013 04:29 PM

Have a Pfaff hobbymatic 947, a coverlock serger 4862, a Pfaff 2056, and I have 4, Pfaff 7570's, (had a 1229, my sister talked me out of, what a workhorse) I love my Pfaff's! they are great machines!

wesing 07-29-2013 04:56 PM

We have a 2038, a 1475, and a 9" GrandQuilter. We love our Pfaffs. The IDT is a great feature and was the feature that sold my wife on the first machine (hers is the 2038). Our 1475 was made in Germany, and we bought it new. The other two were made somewhere else. I also have a vintage 130 that I have not tested.

Mitch's mom 07-29-2013 05:21 PM

1222E and a Tipmatic 6120. Love them both and would try my very best to save them both in the event of a disaster. I think about the new machines but I really don't want a horizontal machine for FMQ. I guess I'll never be the proud owner of a new Pfaff, I'll have to be the very proud owner of a previously loved Pfaff with a vertical bobbin.

TexasSunshine 07-29-2013 07:37 PM

I have a 1471, bought in 1986 and still use it everyday I sew. The IDT is the greatest feature. When I buy another machine it will be a Pfaff.

bearisgray 07-29-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine (Post 6204315)
I have a 1471, bought in 1986 and still use it everyday I sew. The IDT is the greatest feature. When I buy another machine it will be a Pfaff.

I also own a 1471. Pfaff was just starting to come out with white machines then. I am very fond of that machine.o

bizzibee 07-29-2013 07:58 PM

I have a Pfaff Stretch and Sew. It is a workhorse and I love it. It does not have a lot of bells and whistles, no needle up down, no auto threader, but it is a solid machine and I will never sell it. It does have the IDT. One day I am going to buy a newer Pfaff with all the goodies and sell my Janome and an older Singer. My mom has the Pfaff Tipmatic and loves it too.