Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-sewing-machine-t231424.html)

Ginaky 09-30-2013 04:21 PM

I started with a Pfaff 1196 back in the late 70's. I now have a 20 some year old 1473, a QE 4.0, and Smarter 200C and a Passport 2.0. Needless to say, I am a Pfaffie and I love all of them. I wouldn't part with any of them except the 200C and my daughter is getting that one. I bought the Passport 2.0 to take to a 3 day Kay England retreat a week ago and it did exactly what I wanted it to--it's a smaller machine, only weighs about 14 pounds. The IDT is also one of my favorite things about these!

TexasSunshine 09-30-2013 05:25 PM

I have a Pfaff 1471 bought new in 1986 and still use it everyday. I have a newer fancy Brother (nothing wrong with it) but I love my Pfaff and would not trade it in for anything.

leaha 09-30-2013 05:59 PM

I am a Pfaffie, have 7 of them and would not part with them! Love the IDT, and how quite they are, do not need or want a thrashing machine sound in my studio! Love the nice even stitches, the needle up or down, love these machines, the older ones that is.

Dina 09-30-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by leaha (Post 6323384)
I am a Pfaffie, have 7 of them and would not part with them! Love the IDT, and how quite they are, do not need or want a thrashing machine sound in my studio! Love the nice even stitches, the needle up or down, love these machines, the older ones that is.

I forgot about how quiet a Pfaff is compared to other machines. Part of my requirement was that it be "quiet" enough to not bother my husband's amateur radio equipment in the room next to my sewing room. He actually built me a meter about the size of a remote control that I used to determine which machine was quietest. Pfaff won, hands down. All the sales ladies who helped me at the 3 stores I went to found my device amusing, declaring no one had ever come and "measured" which machine was quietest before. :)

Dina

aborning 10-01-2013 04:11 PM

I have a Pfaff Essential Ambition that I bought just this summer. Use it primarily for piecing quilts (I have a long arm). I love it. I was a Bernina lover and still hve a Bernina 430 that I use but it doesn't keep the fabrics together when piecing--so bought th Basic Pfaff just for the IDF feed to use for piecing. I think it is an excellent machine for the price and would highly recommend it. Plus it has a larger throat than my Bernina 430 does and my Bernina 430 cost 3 timeas as much. I also had the BSR witht eh Bernina for quilting and used it on 4 quilts before buying my long arm machien but I did not care for it. Could never get the tension quite right with the BSR. Good luck in your search.

sewgull 10-01-2013 06:18 PM

Love my 3 Pfaffs, 7570, 2140 and Creative Sensation. Regular sewing or machine quilting I have not had any problems stitching thur several layers. Embroidery is wonderful on each machine. The Creative Sensation does have a larger work area. Would not even think of trading either Pfaff. Pfaff is a user friendly machine, and their online help is great.

Mdaniels 10-02-2013 02:36 AM

I also have a BL Espire--are you having problems with yours, and that is why you are switching? I am not loving mine, just curious.

judylg 10-02-2013 04:12 AM

I am going to visit a Pfaff dealer and see these machines and with any luck will get a chance to try one out. It takes me so long to make a decision especially when it is an item that I will use so much. I have my machine back from shop, so have it to sew on and after a few weeks get familiar with again. Thanks for all of the information. One thing I have learned is some machines have very expensive feet if you choose to buy another foot. Hope I am right.

Jo Cypher 10-02-2013 04:14 AM

I got a Pfaff Performance 5 and love it.

nhweaver 10-02-2013 04:16 AM

I am a new Pfaff owner, the quilt expressions 4.0. It almost exactly similiar to my Viking 875Q, but alot quieter, handles all threads well. It uses the same bobbins as the viking. I am now convinced that Pfaff is a much better machine. I love the larger feet, love the IDT. I bought it on Ebay from a Pfaff dealer, and their customer service is awesome, I wonder about servicing though. The closest Pfaff dealer is about 150 miles or so away. I am selling my Viking 875Q, if I can part with it.