Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Sewing Machine >

Pfaff Sewing Machine

Pfaff Sewing Machine

Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM

Default Pfaff Sewing Machine

Have a BabyLock Quilters Choice sewing machine or I hope I do. Am thinking of a new machine and wonder about Pfaff. I do a lot of quilting and sewing, not sure if this is a good choice, any thoughts if you have one? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM

I have two older Pfaffs and I love them. I have a 2170 (Which does Embroidery) and a 2058 (por piecing and quilting). I love their IDT (dual feed feet). I do not know about the newer models however.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM

I also have a 2170 embroidery machine (5 yr old) and it works well for quilting. Don't know about the new machines, though
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM

I have the Pfaff Ambition 1.5. I like it, but I can't say I love it. LOVE the IDT. The bobbin case is an absolute bear to get out and put back in when cleaning the machine. The presser-foot is VERY finicky, but I think that's more of a user problem - I want the machine to stop needle down so I press the needle down button so it stops that way. If you are doing just a few stitches so you kind of 'tap' the foot pedal, it stops with the needle up and remembers that position so it will keep stopping with the needle up. It drives me crazy! I haven't had tension issues with the machine at all, which I love.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM

I have been looking for a new machine myself and have been visiting several different sewing machine dealers etc. After much looking I noticed and then asked the question, does it seem like a lot of quilters are trading in their wonderful old machines for the new machines with the larger throat? The answer seems to be to true, although not all quilters- especially if they have a long arm or access to one. If you have the money and will be trying to FMQ on your sewing machine, I would suggest getting the largest throat area you can. Pfaff seems to have one of the largest throat areas. I went to a Bernina dealership yesterday and tried out the BSR FMQ attachment, I was not particularly impressed, my Singer 15-91 was more manageable and except it was really hard to keep the speed down, granted the lady showing me had no clue how to use the machine! Yes, I drove 30 miles to get a test drive on a Bernina and the sales professional was not in the store yesterday, taught me a lesson from now on I will call first. This dealer did not have Pfaff, so I tried a Janome, it was a bit easier to FMQ but still a bit fast, I even turned the speed down on the Bernina and the Janome ( I had to figure it out myself! and the Janome was a bit more user friendly. I decided to go back and try again when the knowledgeable person can help with try it out. I do have to say the new machines I tried have a feature that is new and would take time to master and that is that if you stop moving the machine stops. Today I am going to a Pfaff dealer today for some test drives I will keep you posted on my findings.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs and love them. I have arthritis in my hands and the IDT is what is keeping me sewing/quilting as much as I want. IDT is the dual feed feature. With it I don't have to manipulate the fabric as much when sewing. They both do beautiful fmq. As a plus, extra feet are easily affordable vs Bernina.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM

I like my Pfaff for the IDT, needle down, decorative stitches, and overall use-ability. It is a Tiptronic, but don't have the model number. It's an older machine, but does everything I need. It hasn't quilted a whole quilt yet, so I can 't comment on that. It quilts(goes through 2 fabric layers plus batting) small items just fine.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM

I have a Pfaff Ambition 1 that I love as well as an older Pfaff that also is lovely. Re: removing the bobbin case to clean: the first time or two it is tricky but becomes easier and now there is nothing to it! The IDT means the fabric goes through straight and true. Love my Pfaffs.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM

I tried out the Pfaff expressions 4.0 and 3.2, I thought the FMQ was easier with the Pfaff, I liked everything about it, but the stitch seemed lose on the backside, the salesman said it was okay, but I don't know.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM

I have had my Pfaff Expression 2. for three years, and I love it. I have always been a seamstress, but I have only been quilting for three years and I don't really know any of the other machines. I test drove Janome and something else, but I liked the "built in walking foot" and throat size of this machine. I was very new to the idea of an expensive machine, but I have had no regrets about my Pfaff. I love it.

I was determined to only buy locally so I could get service and have questions answered. Classes came with the machine, but I only went to the first six or so....there was one a month for as long as I wanted to go.

I would suggest you test drive all you can. The machine has to be one that really suits you. But I love my Pfaff.

Dina