View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM
debbiemarie

I have been looking for a new machine myself and have been visiting several different sewing machine dealers etc. After much looking I noticed and then asked the question, does it seem like a lot of quilters are trading in their wonderful old machines for the new machines with the larger throat? The answer seems to be to true, although not all quilters- especially if they have a long arm or access to one. If you have the money and will be trying to FMQ on your sewing machine, I would suggest getting the largest throat area you can. Pfaff seems to have one of the largest throat areas. I went to a Bernina dealership yesterday and tried out the BSR FMQ attachment, I was not particularly impressed, my Singer 15-91 was more manageable and except it was really hard to keep the speed down, granted the lady showing me had no clue how to use the machine! Yes, I drove 30 miles to get a test drive on a Bernina and the sales professional was not in the store yesterday, taught me a lesson from now on I will call first. This dealer did not have Pfaff, so I tried a Janome, it was a bit easier to FMQ but still a bit fast, I even turned the speed down on the Bernina and the Janome ( I had to figure it out myself! and the Janome was a bit more user friendly. I decided to go back and try again when the knowledgeable person can help with try it out. I do have to say the new machines I tried have a feature that is new and would take time to master and that is that if you stop moving the machine stops. Today I am going to a Pfaff dealer today for some test drives I will keep you posted on my findings.