Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Sewing Machine >

Pfaff Sewing Machine

Pfaff Sewing Machine

Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels View Post
I also have a BL Espire--are you having problems with yours, and that is why you are switching? I am not loving mine, just curious.
Answering for myself, I would like to add a second machine. I really like my BL quilters choice, but need a second machine for no other reason than to have a back up.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM

I love my Babylock Ellure. However, taking it to quilt with friends or to classes is heavy to carry. So, I just bought a Pfaff Passport 2.0. I'll be trying it out today! It's so lightweight, I think it'll be a convenience I'll appreciate. And, I won't have to pack up my Babylock to go every time I head out the door. It'll always be ready for me when I come home : )
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Let us know how it worked, the BL Ellure would be a heavy machine to take to class.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
Answering for myself, I would like to add a second machine. I really like my BL quilters choice, but need a second machine for no other reason than to have a back up.
Thank you, I understand completely!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM

I used the Passport and made a BOM that included small 1/2 sq. triangles. I also sewed some small triangles together from point to point. The fabrics moved through easily and didn't separate on the way through. Other than not bringing the manual and not figuring out how to thread the machine easily at first (LOL), once I did, it worked nicely. The machine runs quiet and smooth and has a powerful lamp, no problem with shadows or inadequate lighting. The machine has an 'auto' speed button (go/stop) that wasn't something I expected when I pressed the button. Not sure how likely I'll use it---it's fast! How do others use this feature?
The bobbin cover was difficult to get off and on, it may just be stiff for getting under the little tab till it's used more or I get used to it. The 'advanced needle threader' isn't comparable to being spoiled by the Babylock auto threader. Apparently most machines have this adv threader and people get used to it. I don't have depth perception, so it'll be my biggest challenge to use it as a convenience over trying to put the thread directly through the needle on my own.
I think 'operator limitations' are my only complaint. Other than that, I really like the machine!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I used to be a Pfaffi but when they came out with the new machines, I found the quality not to be up to my expectations. Customer service was also no longer on the forefront of the new company's mind. So I went from Pfaff to Baby Lock and I wouldn't want to trade my Espire for anything right now. I must admit that I do miss the ease of the IDT BUT it is also no big deal to attach the walking foot when needed. So I am a happy camper.

This is like recommendations of a car - one person's chariot is another person's clunker.